KDE Plasma 5.24 Beta Released With Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Well that depends on what VSCode is doing, sometimes to be fast you need to take up resources and/or it has a lot more features.
    Except VSCode takes up resources just to paint itself on the monitor...
    I mean, I can see how it could be useful for web development (though Angular might actually need a proper IDE) and have been using it for Go (no proper, free editors for Go, sadly). But it never clicked for me, I use it because I have, not because I enjoy the experience.
    I believe VSCose has the same weakness as Eclipse: they're both pretty capable platforms, but they're only as good as the plugins you install.

Comment

What's the state with the latest NVIDIA driver and Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Except VSCode takes up resources just to paint itself on the monitor...
        Except those resources may not be just for painting to a monitor (thats your assumption). Thats the point I am making, VSCode even if launched byitself preloads/caches a lot of things because its more performant.

There is also the fact it does use electron/JS and there isn't anything you can do about that.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        I mean, I can see how it could be useful for web development (though Angular might actually need a proper IDE) and have been using it for Go (no proper, free editors for Go, sadly). But it never clicked for me, I use it because I have, not because I enjoy the experience.
        I believe VSCose has the same weakness as Eclipse: they're both pretty capable platforms, but they're only as good as the plugins you install.
        So I program in roughly 4-5 languages and I can definitely say that VScode is not the most resources intensive. Its definitely not the best (and it can't be, you would have to code it in C/C++/Rust) but compared to IDE's like Intellij its nothing (then again Intellij does a LOT). My primary language is in Scala where its normal for a single Intellij instance for Scala project to take 1 gig plus of memory.

And Eclipse in my opinion is a really shitty editor, its always just been a demo for Java OSGI even though OSGI is overkill for text editors

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          New KDE releases having better wayland support is hardly news anymore, they say that about literally every new KDE release.
          Well... The headlines could now mention polishing Wayland session rather than "better support" as this is already in great shape and now it's more about various different fixes and tweaks.

I think it's still important for Phoronix to point that out. The wave needs to continue. Otherwise we will see comments like under last Xwayland post. "X gets developed and there's nothing happening for Wayland". While that's obviously far from the truth.

I'm personally using KDE with Wayland and AMD everyday. Never had a reason to switch back to X11. Even more, my setup makes no sense for X11 - I'm using displays with different scaling factors and couldn't be happier that I can finally do that on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
            What's the state with the latest NVIDIA driver and Wayland?
            For me, it's completely useless without this fix in qt-wayland. Any QtQuick application seems to suffer severely without it, making KDE itself stutter, all kinds of KDE GUI sluggish and starting anything from anything other than a console is a nightmare requiring extensive patience. If you apply the fix, then the experience is great. Nothing major pops up for me at least. I can even put my machine to sleep, which is a first for me with Wayland.

Comment

Except those resources may not be just for painting to a monitor (thats your assumption). Thats the point I am making, VSCode even if launched byitself preloads/caches a lot of things because its more performant.

There is also the fact it does use electron/JS and there isn't anything you can do about that.
              My point, exactly.

So I program in roughly 4-5 languages and I can definitely say that VScode is not the most resources intensive. Its definitely not the best (and it can't be, you would have to code it in C/C++/Rust) but compared to IDE's like Intellij its nothing (then again Intellij does a LOT). My primary language is in Scala where its normal for a single Intellij instance for Scala project to take 1 gig plus of memory.

And Eclipse in my opinion is a really shitty editor, its always just been a demo for Java OSGI even though OSGI is overkill for text editors
              Exactly was I was saying: it gobbles up resources like an IDE, but it's not really an IDE.
              I also think highly of Idea (and Scala, even if I haven't had a chance to use it much lately). All in all, I think we're on the same page here.

Comment

Originally posted by set135

Well, no, I was talking about much lower memory use limitations. But, since you mention it, I just opened up a compressed binary image of 5mb in vim and selected the whole file, did a search and replace, saved it, and no problems. I was also fairly explicit in saying that I would probably eschew a text editor for such things anyway. We have better tools.

Having said that, operating on a 2gb file in vim is certainly painful But once again, wrong tool for the job. I do apologize if I was condescending to the mentioned editors. I think my toy reference was also about functionality. Do you think notepad and kwrite are the epitome of text editors? I do not know what is, but 30+ years of vi have served me fairly well....
                I'm quite often working with sql files with vim (open, replace, save) and neovim/vim have a difficulty when saving the file after edit. Usually > 10MB ones, rarely ~3-6MB. Same with kwrite. From your smooth experience, maybe I'll try it again.

About toy reference, no offense taken. I was just not in agreement with you about simple text editor like kwrite or vim/nvim is not necessary to have capability to processing big files and/or with > 50k lines, and we have to use full-blown bloated IDE for that. Like, editing few lines from sql dump files, and save. Simple text editing with simple text editor. Just the file is quite big. But text editor like vim/kwrite ought to have that kind of capability.

Comment

Working...
                X