KDE Plasma 5.24 Beta Released With Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post

I probably should have learned that trick years ago, but with so many browser windows open, it'll be hard to see what's what vertically I fear.
    Maybe that would force me to close those windows more often, which would be a good thing!

Thanks guys!
    You get previews when you mouse over (but, of course, you have to mouse over). Another thing I do is drag windows I use most in the top spots. In a short while, you learn those by heart and you can select them almost without looking. And if you have your hands on the keyboard, KRunner can also select windows for you

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      What a great list of updates.

I'm still overly peeved about Kate>KWrite. Probably more-so than I should be.
      I'd prefer it if the default settings in Kate were tweaked so it looks like KWrite.
      I agree!
      They should've kept Kate, maybe dumbed it down by default to be like KWrite, but with a config toggle to switch to the advanced view.
      The "Simple by default, powerful when needed!" is false now with Kwrite as it cannot be powerful when needed.
      For that Kate will be needed again, and if you're offline or on a very weak internet connection, you're screwed!

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
        The only thing I want from Plasma now - this merged upstream and working on Wayland. Even if it will be tied only to a single theme - this thing is an absolute killer in saving vertical space on stupid 16:9 notebook screens.
        But why horizontal titlebars at the top, instead of verticals at the left?

OMG firefox also should place tabs on the left side instead of the top :0 so much horizontal space :0

(Yes, I am using unity, throwing away 26 pixels or so at the top for nothing. Yes, I don't know any other DE or WM to change from it. Also why no auto hide for the top bar? If I wanted to check the time, I could push up my cursor, or press windows button, thank you)

Comment

I just tried that in Kwrite with no issue, but maybe there is more to in than having a line with more than 42k characters?
          At this point I'm completely beyond caring.

Hell, if it can show up in kwrite, kate and gedit in both Gnome and Plasma, then it might not be a text editor problem but a friggin Linux problem, which is even worse.

Comment

In the next months:

"KDE Plasma 5.25 Beta Released With Better Wayland Support".

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              You get previews when you mouse over (but, of course, you have to mouse over). Another thing I do is drag windows I use most in the top spots. In a short while, you learn those by heart and you can select them almost without looking. And if you have your hands on the keyboard, KRunner can also select windows for you
              Yeah I currently have enough to also need to memorize their location.
              I also use different vDesktops and sometimes use other sort of windows in between to separate them.

KRunner is a good point, I always forget about that trick and it's weird cause I use KRunner for a lot of other things.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

At this point I'm completely beyond caring.

Hell, if it can show up in kwrite, kate and gedit in both Gnome and Plasma, then it might not be a text editor problem but a friggin Linux problem, which is even worse.
              Yeah it may be related to something else that just somehow shows in the editor.
              Could it be your system not having proper hardware requirement for this on Linux? The machine I tried this on is pretty good.

Comment

Could it be your system not having proper hardware requirement for this on Linux? The machine I tried this on is pretty good.
                Windows 11 and the built-in Notepad on an Atom don't have this issue while a Threadripper running kate / kwrite / gedit has.

I rest my case.

Comment

Windows 11 and the built-in Notepad on an Atom don't have this issue while a Threadripper running kate / kwrite / gedit has.
                  Yeah weird, and likely your TR system is much much better than my Zen one.
                  It'd be interesting to find the root cause. Not sure if it matters but I use a TKG kernel.

Comment

If I want to do text editing, I much rather do it in Windows with Notepad these days.

Why? Start up kate or kwrite or gedit, create a file with a single line that has more than 40,000 characters, then click and drag to select more than half of the text and watch the entire text editor freeze to hell. Have been experiencing this since 2016 and still happens in 2022.

This never happens on Windows's Notepad. It's downright ridiculous that the operating system with the most variety of text editors can't even get this right.
                    FWIW I at work I am currently working with big JSON files (i.e. > 5mb) where all of the characters are on a single line and even nvim is sluggish/slow. I often have to resort to tools like cat or awk to work with such massive files

I suspect the main culprit is things like syntax highlighting which forces you to parse the whole text, Windows notepad has no such functionality.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That is just... wrong.
                    Sublime is commercial. As good as it may be, it never replaced Notepad++.
                    VSCode is an electron monstrosity, it didn't replace anything, unless you were desperate to see something resembling VS running on Linux.
                    Eh VSCode isn't as slow as it appears to be mainly due to the fact that any bottlenecks are not done in electron but rather written with native code. Atom (the editor by github) did everything in Javascript/Electron which was the primary reason it was so god damn slow.
                    Last edited by mdedetrich; 14 January 2022, 01:18 AM.

Comment

If I want to do text editing, I much rather do it in Windows with Notepad these days.

Why? Start up kate or kwrite or gedit, create a file with a single line that has more than 40,000 characters, then click and drag to select more than half of the text and watch the entire text editor freeze to hell. Have been experiencing this since 2016 and still happens in 2022.

This never happens on Windows's Notepad. It's downright ridiculous that the operating system with the most variety of text editors can't even get this right.
                      could it possible for you to open a bug report and send some example files to make it reproduce on ? ( And a video record about that happens will be appreciated )

Comment

Working...
                      X