PipeWire 0.3.43 Released With Many Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    I wonder when the counter-pipewire movement comes to life. What could it be, people favouring Pulse for arbitrary and mostly wrong reasons, a resurgence of directly using Also or maybe even a come back of OSS.

No doubt that the larger community is capable of at least creating a "Pulse is better" movement.
    You see those when one implementation comes to replace another with no regard to compatibility. PipeWire is a drop-in replacement and does that quite well from what I have seen. Unless it starts doing something egregious, I don't see why it would spark a backlash.

Comment

This thread gave me a good chuckle.

Comment

I really, really like pipewire and all, but you ever open helvum, and then open audio control at the same time and it just becomes a cluster fuck. I hope we get good native tools for controlling pipewire soon pw-viz seems like it has potential for a pipewire graph

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          It would be so nice if Ubuntu 22.04 would switch to it and free us from having to install it ourselves.
          First they will have to start working in their own solution and abandon it in 3~4 years before finally agreeing to participate on a common tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

It shouldn't be random. ProAudio is intended to provide arbitrary amounts of channels for mixers and stuff instead of just assuming common channel layouts like mono, stereo, 4.1, 5.1, etc.

That's the only way my mixer shows all 8 capture channels and all 4 playback channels.
            Everyday you learn something new.

In the pulse volume control selecting Pro Audio in the configuration tab for the built-in audio and the GPU's HDMI and you can switch in the reproduction tab to all the outputs.

Thanks for the tip, i have no idea what was this thing for.
            Last edited by paregistrase; 05 January 2022, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paregistrase View Post

Everyday you learn something new.

In the pulse volume control selecting Pro Audio in the configuration tab for the built-in audio and the GPU's HDMI and you can switch in the reproduction tab to all the outputs.

Thanks for the tip, i have no idea what was this thing to.
              Well, from what I read it also handles resampling in floating point which should yield better quality. Can't say I've heard a difference tho.

Comment

Is there a distro that uses pipewire out of the box for audio? I'd like to try it with my bluetooth setup but I really don't want to muck about my current desktop install.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, from what I read it also handles resampling in floating point which should yield better quality. Can't say I've heard a difference tho.
                  With the tv and monitor speakers i'm sure i can't.

But having all outputs in the drop down menu is very handy.

After knowing this i had to select the output in the HDMI between tv and monitor all the time

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                    Is there a distro that uses pipewire out of the box for audio? I'd like to try it with my bluetooth setup but I really don't want to muck about my current desktop install.
                    Should be default in Fedora since Fedora 34

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      It would be so nice if Ubuntu 22.04 would switch to it and free us from having to install it ourselves.
                      It will most likely not happen in 22.04, it will most likely be the 0.3.43 version (currently it's 0.3.42 but feature freeze isn't until feb 24 so there is still time for Debian Sid to add 0.3.43), also it have moved in from Universe back in 20.04 so its more official in Ubuntu now. So while it won't be the default in 22.04 it should be quite easy to switch to it vs 20.04 where you have to add it via a PPA due to the very old version.

Comment

Working...
                      X