KDE Lands More Plasma Wayland Fixes, Other Enhancements For Plasma 5.24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    Does anyone uses KDE Wayland on NVIDIA? I'm using Gnome Wayland on NVIDIA and it works fine for me.
    Right now, almost nobody. It worked ok for a brief while (starting with Plasma 5.23 until 495 came out). Now it's an unbearable slideshow with seconds between a mouse click and its processing.
    Before that, there weren't any major problems, save for some rendering glitches. Especially wrt panel/taskbar.

There's still an annoying problem where you invoke KRunner, start typing, but KRunner itself only captures keyboard input after some random seconds. Most often, it loses enough input to not understand what you're looking for, so you have to input the text again. The alternative is to press Alt+Space, wait a couple of seconds for KRunner to show up and only then start to input text. Which is equally damaging to your workflow. But the problem is not Wayland specific, it happens on X also.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Right now, almost nobody. It worked ok for a brief while (starting with Plasma 5.23 until 495 came out). Now it's an unbearable slideshow with seconds between a mouse click and its processing.
      Before that, there weren't any major problems, save for some rendering glitches. Especially wrt panel/taskbar.
      Maybe this is just a configuration problem?

Comment

Originally posted by funforums View Post
        ... but I need wayland because some applications (mainly games) I run work better in Wayland than X11
        What games run better on Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Maybe this is just a configuration problem?
          No, it's something that needs patching in Qt (the bug report was posted on Phoronix before, can't recall where).
          You experience the slowness right from the start, you will look at those gears Plasma uses for a loading screen for 10+ seconds before seeing the desktop Tbh I was expecting teething problems, but not on the side of Qt/Plasma, these things have been supposedly tested on top of GBM for years. But it's ok, I've lived so far without Wayland, I can certainly go a little longer.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            What games run better on Wayland?
            One of them that definitely comes to my mind as running better on Wayland compared to X11 is Battlefield V. It is actually not the matter with the game itself, which runs well also on X11, but the Origin launcher and its integration within the game. Using KDE+X11 always gave me countless problems at the startup of the origin client (which would somehow hang together with the entire KDE UI for minutes), and using the integrated windows of Origin in the game seems to run smoother for me. Another thing that has become supported recently on Wayland on my setup and it is not on X11 (and AFAIK cannot be supported there) is variable refresh rate with multiple monitors on different refresh rates (although admittedly being something I didn´t really miss on X11).

EDIT: forgot to specify that obviously VRR makes sense especially with games, at least in the usage I make of my setup.

Comment

Can't say I'm a fan of hamburger menus, it's just an extra click and we are not short of screen acreage in this day and age of large very high resolution monitors. Might make sense on 800 X 600 11 inches but 4k 32 inches, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                Can't say I'm a fan of hamburger menus, it's just an extra click and we are not short of screen acreage in this day and age of large very high resolution monitors. Might make sense on 800 X 600 11 inches but 4k 32 inches, please.
                True, but for a document viewer it may make sense. I can't remember when was the last time I used the menu in Okular or, pardon de the expression, Adobe Reader.
                Plus, this being KDE, it's most likely configurable.

Comment

I hope the hamburger menus can be disabled still. Look at the first example in the blog, it is just a File menu for the top 75%, then the View+Settings+Help menus jammed at the bottom with '37 more actions' squished in down there too. Things that were a 2-click selection process become a 3-step process. I don't think applications look better by throwing the top menu away; they just look dumbed-down and take on a more viewer-type appearance than a tool to do stuff efficiently with.

Gordon Bennet! I've just gone an hidden the menu bar in Dolphin and it took some time to get it back because it turned in an invisible hamburger menu (probably because I don't use Breeze icons).

Grumble, grumble.

Comment

Originally posted by deadite66 View Post

Couldn't get SMPlayer to work under wayland so moved to QMPlay2 which works very nicely.
                    miss a simple screen recorder, don't really want to install OBS.
                    Thanks for the tip on QMPlay2. Just installed it and runs great out of the box. I've never been able to get SMPLAYER to work and I've been participating in bugs, sending back trace info, etc., I either get a black window or a endless spinning pinwheel. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for SMPLAYER to work, it's been over a year at least. Best to find an app that works and just switch. The other app that works with no fuss is celluloid. mpv also works.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_marmalade View Post
                      I hope the hamburger menus can be disabled still. Look at the first example in the blog,)
                      And the last line above the example picture say "Note that in Okular this is not on by default; you have to manually hide the menubar first." So you really don't have to do anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X