KDE Lands More Plasma Wayland Fixes, Other Enhancements For Plasma 5.24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Lands More Plasma Wayland Fixes, Other Enhancements For Plasma 5.24

Phoronix: KDE Lands More Plasma Wayland Fixes, Other Enhancements For Plasma 5.24

Like clockwork KDE developer Nate Graham is out with his weekly development summary each Saturday highlighting the accomplishments of this free software desktop project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm from the future. Next KDE article headline would be "wayland fixes" or something like that

Comment

- Plasma's Wayland session has re-introduced the notion of the "primary monitor" for the same behavior as accustomed to under X11.
      Thank god. I have so many second-monitor issues I am losing my mind, but I need wayland because some applications (mainly games) I run work better in Wayland than X11. I look forward to try the update out.

Comment

Just for reference, - regarding KDE and X11 it may bring a noticeable performance and stability improvement to try out EGL instead of GLX. This can be achieved through the "KWIN_OPENGL_INTERFACE=EGL" or the "KWIN_COMPOSE=O2ES" environment variable.

The first one just switches GLX to EGL, while the other one changes the entire compositing to OpenGL ES 2.0. This is especially for older and weaker hardware recommended but it may limit some graphical effects of some plasma themes. More information can be found here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=442386

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
          I'm from the future. Next KDE article headline would be "wayland fixes" or something like that
          Well to be fair, Plasma-X11 is already pretty solid, so i'm not in the least surprised that there are way more wayland-specific fixes compared to x11-specific fixes...

Comment

Originally posted by funforums View Post
            Thank god. I have so many second-monitor issues I am losing my mind, but I need wayland because some applications (mainly games) I run work better in Wayland than X11. I look forward to try the update out.
            +1000
            I will likely switch to Wayland with that (just hope other software, like SMPlayer, won't be too buggy).

Comment

Does anyone uses KDE Wayland on NVIDIA? I'm using Gnome Wayland on NVIDIA and it works fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

+1000
                I will likely switch to Wayland with that (just hope other software, like SMPlayer, won't be too buggy).
                Couldn't get SMPlayer to work under wayland so moved to QMPlay2 which works very nicely.
                miss a simple screen recorder, don't really want to install OBS.

Comment

Originally posted by deadite66 View Post

Couldn't get SMPlayer to work under wayland so moved to QMPlay2 which works very nicely.
                  miss a simple screen recorder, don't really want to install OBS.
                  Interesting. I may try this QMPlay2.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                    Does anyone uses KDE Wayland on NVIDIA? I'm using Gnome Wayland on NVIDIA and it works fine for me.
                    I used it before on 470, it worked sort of "fine". I mean programs didn't crash and so on, but certain behaviour felt bug like, for example when i right clicked to get context menu, context menu appeared ... in totally diffrent place then mouse cursor. I returned to X.

Comment

Working...
                    X