Firefox 86.0 Released With Total Cookie Protection, Stack Clash Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kvuj View Post

Sooooo ungoogled-chromium but for Firefox? I'd be down for that.

While we're at it, why not remove those weird connections FF makes when you open a blank page haha.

Wanna lose trust in FF? Open a blank page, use netstat to find ports opened by FF and watch them with wireshark . In contrast, both epiphany and ungoogled-chromium produce radio silence.
    Except their complaints are all orthogonal to the purpose of a project like ungoogled-chromium? The purpose of that project is to strip out google-related tracking, not just remove features because some random internet poster is too pretentious to acknowledge that different people use their computers in different ways. The person you responded to is just mad that engineers that they aren't paying are not prioritizing features they specifically want, and wants to remove otherwise perfectly fine features because they'd rather others suffer if they can't get whatever it is they want. People use these features, none of them are malicious by design. Picture-in-picture is incredibly handy to a lot of people.

Comment

simultaneously watching multiple videos in Picture-in-Picture mode
      why? who would need this level of distraction?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I'm going to stick with "reject 3rd party cookies", but this is a nice addition.
        Cookies are meant for session data, not to enable 3rd parties to build businesses on top of them.
        I agree with you there. What's the difference with the total cookie protection and blocking 3rd party cookies anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

why? who would need this level of distraction?
          Day job is boring? We need cute cat videos to brighten our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Is it safe to assume MESA drivers have DMA-BUF support by default? I've only got a system with nvidia GPU and another weaker laptop with only Intel iGPU. The latter I assume could benefit?
            Yes, pretty much.

I came across some interesting bench results against FF84 and FF85 with FF86 and how it compares to chromium browsers on linux. They don't indicate if that was on X11 or Wayland though, perhaps the results would be more favorable to FF on Wayland?
            Hm, interesting. Those improvements seem to be independent to what I was referring to, which is a full readback from the GPU if dmabuf is not supported.

I haven't tested browser updates for about a year now, but remember my three.js WebGL project had bad perf on linux back then. Got excited about improvements and I remember the DMA-BUF stuff making it better for Wayland (and eventually X11 apparently).

The weird thing was my app wasn't particularly heavy, and I don't think it was JS related as any WebGL content I tried on the web, even empty / basic scenes couldn't manage 60FPS (10th gen Comet Lake Intel i3, iGPU before the big improved architecture arrived). Pretty sure it should be capable of simple WebGL scenes though, IIRC I think the CPU was under quite a bit of load, and that could vary based on scale of the window/scene, so perhaps it was an X11 issue and Wayland with DMA-BUF won't run into that?
            Yep, that sounds exactly like the readback issue dmabuf sharing is fixing. Even very light pages don't run at 60fps. I just mentioned the aquarium demo because that's a case where things still do get slow with high fish counts.

Comment

Elastic overscroll like on iOS or macOS is now working on Firefox 86 using WebRender! about:config → apz.overscroll.enabled → on
              Only with trackpads.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

I drive a Jeep Wrangler TJ (Fire Engine red!). It fits that bill. I'll happily drive 14 hours up the road with none of those feature's, entertaining myself, chewing through fuel it's never going out of fashion!
                And that pleasure of driving manual...
                I mean why can't we have all new stuff while keeping the fun of driving manual? Or the other way around. Different strokes for different folks.
                That's why options are offered, as long as they are financially and maintainable-ably possible (with the quote given by Slartifartblast as a limit). If not, we should be able to turn them off (looking at you, dumb lane assist).

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

I agree with you there. What's the difference with the total cookie protection and blocking 3rd party cookies anyways?
                  I believe TCP still lets 3rd party cookies in, but keeps cookies that were set while browsing phoronix.com from being accessed while browsing openbenchmarking.org.

I have this habit of blocking 3rd party cookies and setting the browser to expire everything else since I was using Mozilla/Seamonkey. Back then I wasn't doing it for privacy (still ain't), but for keeping cookies from piling up.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar?

Google stole the cookies from the cookie jar.

Who me? Yes you. Couldn't be. Then who?

Facebook stole the cookies from the cookie jar.

Who me? Yes you. Couldn't be. Then who?

Putin stole the cookies from the cookie jar.

Who me? Yes you.

**laughs in Putin, rides bear across field during sunset**
                    You mean a bear on a unicycle?
                    Brian and Stewie travel to Russia. I do not own the rights to this video.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim85 View Post

WTF is wrong with picture in picture?
                      It distracts me. If I want to watch a video, I watch the video. If I want to write on Phoronix, I write on Phoronix. I don't want to be distracted by a video in the corner of my screen. And on the rare occasion that I actually *do* need a video at hand, I just use Vivaldi's tab stacking feature to display two tabs side-by-side.
                      Last edited by Vistaus; 24 February 2021, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X