Firefox 86.0 Released With Total Cookie Protection, Stack Clash Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    I wonder if the WebGL GPU process changes solve the infamous low WebGL-on-Linux performance issue that's been going on for years with Firefox…
    That is solved by dmabuf sharing on the EGL backend. In short: MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 on Wayland or MOZ_X11_EGL=1 on X11 - on dmabuf capable drivers. Also make sure that Webrender is enabled in about:support. Both options will soon be on by default, but as usually it takes time... Mind though that the (in)famous webgl aquarium demo will still be slower than in chrome because the JS in that demo happens to run badly on mozjs. But FF on Linux should roughly match Win performance then.

Comment

Finally with this release, wayland vsync and wayland smooth rendering dont crash, on sway wm
      Last edited by siyia; 23 February 2021, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
        Picture-in-Picture again? Why?

I know I should shut up and (try to) do this myself, but someone should release a fork of Firefox with all of the damn features no sane person would ever use disabled by default. Notifications off, location sharing off, camera sharing off, VR/AR sharing off, and now Picture-in-Picture off.
        Why don't we all drive manual cars with no A/C, power windows, or infotainment? If only dealerships sold this majestic car that obviously everyone wants, it's so clearly what everyone wants! Everything else on the dealership lot wastes space, contributes to global warming.

Jokes aside, picture in picture is amazing, I use it all the time when I least expect it despite having a multi monitor configuration for home/work. All the other features are specific use cases, having them available is important. Imagine your favorite creator gets deplatformed and the only convenient way to keep up with them is to enable notifications on an alternative video site? You gotta look a little bit past your nose to understand why these features exist and why they're available or on by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          I wonder if the WebGL GPU process changes solve the infamous low WebGL-on-Linux performance issue that's been going on for years with Firefox…
          I couldn't find any information about the WebGL improvement on the 86 release notes linked (raised an issue about that on Github as there's nothing in the release notes commit history either). Found another website reporting on it with more detailed insights than Phoronix has provided, they share some benchmark results showing notable improvement over FF84 on a Ryzen system due to threading improvements I think (they offload WebGL onto it's own thread now), but performance from their results show chromium based browsers having notable performance advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
            That is solved by dmabuf sharing on the EGL backend. In short: MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 on Wayland or MOZ_X11_EGL=1 on X11 - on dmabuf capable drivers.
            Is it safe to assume MESA drivers have DMA-BUF support by default? I've only got a system with nvidia GPU and another weaker laptop with only Intel iGPU. The latter I assume could benefit?

I came across some interesting bench results against FF84 and FF85 with FF86 and how it compares to chromium browsers on linux. They don't indicate if that was on X11 or Wayland though, perhaps the results would be more favorable to FF on Wayland?

Originally posted by treba View Post
            Both options will soon be on by default, but as usually it takes time...
            I haven't tested browser updates for about a year now, but remember my three.js WebGL project had bad perf on linux back then. Got excited about improvements and I remember the DMA-BUF stuff making it better for Wayland (and eventually X11 apparently).

The weird thing was my app wasn't particularly heavy, and I don't think it was JS related as any WebGL content I tried on the web, even empty / basic scenes couldn't manage 60FPS (10th gen Comet Lake Intel i3, iGPU before the big improved architecture arrived). Pretty sure it should be capable of simple WebGL scenes though, IIRC I think the CPU was under quite a bit of load, and that could vary based on scale of the window/scene, so perhaps it was an X11 issue and Wayland with DMA-BUF won't run into that?

Comment

lol...
              Last edited by Hash; 24 February 2021, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hash View Post
                December 11, 2008

That's when Firefox died. What's that date? Google Chrome was released.
                <yawn>

Comment

Originally posted by damentz View Post

Why don't we all drive manual cars with no A/C, power windows, or infotainment? If only dealerships sold this majestic car that obviously everyone wants, it's so clearly what everyone wants! Everything else on the dealership lot wastes space, contributes to global warming.
                  I drive a Jeep Wrangler TJ (Fire Engine red!). It fits that bill. I'll happily drive 14 hours up the road with none of those feature's, entertaining myself, chewing through fuel it's never going out of fashion!

Hi

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar?

Google stole the cookies from the cookie jar.

Who me? Yes you. Couldn't be. Then who?

Facebook stole the cookies from the cookie jar.

Who me? Yes you. Couldn't be. Then who?

Putin stole the cookies from the cookie jar.

Who me? Yes you.

**laughs in Putin, rides bear across field during sunset**
                    This song came to mind when I saw the headline. Kudos for remembering skeevy, you old fart 😁

I personally prefer biscuits. Better for dunking!
                    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
                      Just think a second, why Google / Microsoft never implemented this in their browsers by default, despite being an obvious good thing to users...
                      why champion of internet freedom mozilla corporation didn't do it in all those years?

Comment

Working...
                      X