GTK4 To Bring Better & Faster macOS Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Apple is no longer a Platform -- they are a Digital Jail that prey on the technologically illiterate and the vein. Seeing how they've treated OpenGL, made it impossible to boot Linux on their new laptops and actively discouraged programmer innovation I couldn't care less if GTK support for macOS was sterilized from the codebase all-together.
    Apple explicitly allows booting unsigned binaries on the new Apple Silicon-based Macs. Linux doesn't currently support the hardware (obviously Apple themselves have no reason to port it, and the hardware was just released), but there's an effort underway to get standard Linux running on the new Apple Silicon-based Macs: https://www.patreon.com/marcan (actually a really good technical read even if you don't care about Apple at all.)

There's plenty of legitimate bad things about Apple (see e.g. the App Store monopoly), but "made it impossible to boot Linux on their new laptops" isn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by _r00t- View Post
      Most useless information for this month.
      Most useless post since Phoronix began.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        No Vulkan, DirectX and Metal? Rally?

GTK4 is taking ages to materialize.

Will Gimp be ported to GTK4 before 2022?
        Other than bitching....what are YOU doing to help the GTK4 version of GIMP being released before 2022 ?

Comment

Originally posted by elduderino View Post

Shrug. Everyone complains that the toolkit isn't cross-platform enough so I take some extra time to fix that and I'm welcomed with useless posts like this. Good times.
          Mate, I guess most of us use Linux and don't buy Macs! With all of the problems on the Linux desktop I'm actually even offended someone care about porting shit to MacOs. Make sense now?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            What about better Windows support? GIMP takes 10 minutes to start on Windows.
            it's time to change you pentium 200mmx

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post

Mate, I guess most of us use Linux and don't buy Macs! With all of the problems on the Linux desktop I'm actually even offended someone care about porting shit to MacOs. Make sense now?
              Imagine being offended that a cross platform toolkit is improving being cross platform.

Comment

Originally posted by marccollin View Post

it's time to change you pentium 200mmx
                it was an Intel Core i7-3610QM :l

it would take 1 day on a pentium of that era

hardware does not solve software problems
                that's Windows mentality

Comment

Do people on macOS even use software that isn't created with the native Cocoa toolkit?

I have encountered so many Mac users who simply refuse to use software that is not written using Cocoa just because 'it looks different'.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

Apple explicitly allows booting unsigned binaries on the new Apple Silicon-based Macs. Linux doesn't currently support the hardware (obviously Apple themselves have no reason to port it, and the hardware was just released), but there's an effort underway to get standard Linux running on the new Apple Silicon-based Macs: https://www.patreon.com/marcan (actually a really good technical read even if you don't care about Apple at all.)

There's plenty of legitimate bad things about Apple (see e.g. the App Store monopoly), but "made it impossible to boot Linux on their new laptops" isn't one of them.
                    If Apple doesn't provide support, documentation and drivers to run Linux on their hardware, this "project" is already dead and Apple doesn't really support Linux. This is just some poor sod who wants to earn a few bucks while having fun. It's not a serious project, just more crap for the apple fans on r/apple.

What's the point of improving the support of gtk4 for the mac? Sounds like a fun exercise, but where's the goat?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      What about better Windows support? GIMP takes 10 minutes to start on Windows.
                      Still faster than Photoshop, lol

Comment

Working...
                      X