Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK4 To Bring Better & Faster macOS Support

Phoronix: GTK4 To Bring Better & Faster macOS Support

On top of the many other improvements for the soon-to-be-released GTK4 toolkit, there is now better support for Apple's macOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Vulkan renderer does compile on macOS. It should just require implementing GdkVulkanContext to get MoltenVK working if anyone is interested in contributing support for it. But given how few people have MoltenVK installed, GL seemed like a better initial target to support without having to bundle so much.

Comment

Most useless information for this month.

Comment

Originally posted by _r00t- View Post
        Shrug. Everyone complains that the toolkit isn't cross-platform enough so I take some extra time to fix that and I'm welcomed with useless posts like this. Good times.

Comment

What about better Windows support? GIMP takes 10 minutes to start on Windows.

Comment

No Vulkan, DirectX and Metal? Rally?

GTK4 is taking ages to materialize.

Will Gimp be ported to GTK4 before 2022?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              What about better Windows support? GIMP takes 10 minutes to start on Windows.
              The GTK 4 Windows backend does support OpenGL rendering already. Of course that doesn't help GIMP yet which is on GTK 3.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                No Vulkan, DirectX and Metal? Rally?
                There is a Vulkan backend already. You can try it with GSK_RENDERER=vulkan.

DirectX and Metal are more interesting in that you still probably want things like GtkGLArea to work on top of them and composite with the rest of the UI. With Vulkan that's fairly easy.

Comment

Originally posted by _r00t- View Post
                  This post is unintentionally self-referential. Neat!

Comment

Originally posted by elduderino View Post

Shrug. Everyone complains that the toolkit isn't cross-platform enough so I take some extra time to fix that and I'm welcomed with useless posts like this. Good times.
                    I agree. GTK+ is a great toolkit. I don't think that it will suit great on MacOS for the moment.

Comment

Working...
                    X