No announcement yet.

KDE Saw More Wayland Improvements This Week, Other Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think KRunner is the most useful invention since sliced bread. The amount of time it has saved me with the unit and currency conversion facilities is enormous.

Comment

Originally posted by bajczyk View Post
      If you're on AMD then use the TearFree option (there is an instruction on ArchWiki under AMDGPU). Otherwise there is an option in KDE settings in Compositor section to prevent screen tearing by repainting whole screen (I don't remember exact name, I'm not using English locals). Neither of those worked for you?
      I use NVIDIA and I also tried this option with no success.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

It's not only this. I have tearing experience on KDE since years. Tearing on scrolling the web browser and tearing while watching videos. I tried several compositor settings and nothing worked.

I don't have any of these experience on Gnome - by default.
        You can use a different window manager on KDE.

Comment

Sad to say this, but I switched yesterday to Gnome, because I had continuously freezes on Plasma. I'm using Archlinux and thus always the latest KDE versions.
          On which GPU? My main system with a seperate GPU works really well, but I do have some issues with several AMD APU's.

Comment

Originally posted by r41n3r View Post

on which gpu? My main system with a seperate gpu works really well, but i do have some issues with several amd apu's.
            nvidia gtx 1060.

Comment

I use NVIDIA and I also tried this option with no success.

There was a bug (on the KDE side I guess) for years that resulted in tearing under Nvidia no matter what. The work around, which never gave me problems was was to append the following to /etc/environment:
              KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1

I think this bug was maybe fixed a year ago or so..? Or at least, I'm not needed this anymore...

You may still need to configure the right v-sync option in KDE to work in conjunction with this... I'm not sure. It's been a while since I've had to think about it.

Comment

nvidia gtx 1060.
                Did you enable DRM KMS?

Here's a link to the triple buffer entry and the other fix for that.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Did you enable DRM KMS?

Triple buffer is enabled, but I didn't tried out this kernel parameter. I will try this out, thx.
                  I've read here in this forum, that the KWin Low Latency fork addresses tearing issues, but it has not been merged in the main project.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Did you enable DRM KMS?

Ok, I tried this out:

Code:
                    (base) [stefano@STEFANO-ARCHLINUX ~]$ cat /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh
                    export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1

(base) [stefano@STEFANO-ARCHLINUX ~]$ cat /proc/cmdline
                    BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=37bf578f-827d-4606-aa1d-ffe71514a0f5 rw loglevel=3 quiet nvidia-drm.modeset=1
                    I get still tearing which I can proof by a video:
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Steffo

Based on what I've read, the triple buffering fix shouldn't be needed once the kernel command line is updated. In fact, just read that it can break the Vsync of Firefox. Based on that discussion, you'd probably be better off using the USLEEP method and disabling triple buffering if using neither still introduces tearing issues. It might also help to disable Force Full Composition Pipeline in the Control Panel if you have it enabled.

aufkrawall

Any suggestions? What you wrote is what I'm going off of

Comment

Working...
                      X