Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Saw More Wayland Improvements This Week, Other Enhancements

Phoronix: KDE Saw More Wayland Improvements This Week, Other Enhancements

In addition to this week seeing the slew of KDE Apps updates, developers working on the applications, Plasma, and other areas of the KDE ecosystem have remained as busy as ever during the COVID-19 crisis for continuing to improve this open-source desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sad to say this, but I switched yesterday to Gnome, because I had continuously freezes on Plasma. I'm using Archlinux and thus always the latest KDE versions.

Comment

I got frustrated trying to replicate my Plasma setup with Gnome so I'm back on Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
        Sad to say this, but I switched yesterday to Gnome, because I had continuously freezes on Plasma. I'm using Archlinux and thus always the latest KDE versions.
        Sad to hear that. I'm also on Arch+KDE and it's smooth sailing for me. But I get why you wouldn't want to spend your time fighting the DE.

Comment

Its has been my hope for some years that I could switch to kde on wayland with bullseye (back then “the release after buster”). There is a chance however any progress on kde’s side will miss bullseye’s freeze.
          I always found it a shame that neon targeted ubuntu, and not debian, which is less of a moving target to support. Don’t forget where most of ubuntu’s packages come from. For me where ubuntu differentiates itself most is its desktop packages, but neon almost completely replaces that part.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Sad to hear that. I'm also on Arch+KDE and it's smooth sailing for me. But I get why you wouldn't want to spend your time fighting the DE.
            It's not only this. I have tearing experience on KDE since years. Tearing on scrolling the web browser and tearing while watching videos. I tried several compositor settings and nothing worked.

I don't have any of these experience on Gnome - by default.

Comment

I don't recall having any tearing experience since using Kubuntu, I even published a Kubuntu 14.04 virtual machine that anyone could download and try for himself: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B2...dfaGdJTUU/edit

Comment

It's not only this. I have tearing experience on KDE since years. Tearing on scrolling the web browser and tearing while watching videos. I tried several compositor settings and nothing worked.

That I get. I know with my RX 580 that the tearing has felt really hit and miss over the years with KDE. Did a Manjaro KDE install last night, I didn't like the ALEZ ZFS setup, and I haven't had any tearing whatsoever with its default settings (outside of changing the theme to Breeze Dark).

Comment

If you're on AMD then use the TearFree option (there is an instruction on ArchWiki under AMDGPU). Otherwise there is an option in KDE settings in Compositor section to prevent screen tearing by repainting whole screen (I don't remember exact name, I'm not using English locals). Neither of those worked for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
                    Its has been my hope for some years that I could switch to kde on wayland with bullseye (back then “the release after buster”). There is a chance however any progress on kde’s side will miss bullseye’s freeze.
                    I always found it a shame that neon targeted ubuntu, and not debian, which is less of a moving target to support. Don’t forget where most of ubuntu’s packages come from. For me where ubuntu differentiates itself most is its desktop packages, but neon almost completely replaces that part.
                    One of the points of Neon is the moving target. One of the problems with using KDE on distributions outside of Tumbleweed, Manjaro/Arch, Fedora, Gentoo, etc is the target never moves while KDE does so KDE users end up with a desktop that almost never get timely updates as the KDE team releases them. They end up using random software versions from a year or two ago and then wonder why stuff doesn't always work quite right while all the people rolling along are like "What problems?"...anecdotal evidence in this thread not withstanding

IMHO, Debian and targets that don't move are what give desktop Linux the bad reputation it has. Ubuntu moving their upstream to Debian is one of the best things that could have happened and we can only hope KDE Neon can follow. Those two sentences combined sound like Military Intelligence, but Debian getting a kick in the pants and getting upstream desktop environment releases faster means that every single apt-based distribution will benefit. Adding Neon to that would, hopefully, mean that Qt and other software the KDE depends on would be updated faster and make desktop Linux version used more cohesive across up-to-date Linux distributions.

Comment

Working...
                    X