Firefox 76 Enabling VA-API Wayland Acceleration For All Video Codecs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treba View Post

What do you mean with fake hw decoding? The article is about *real* hardware decoding - as long as your hardware / driver offers it via VAAPI.
    Really?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
      Without Ubuntu wayland is a dead end. NVIDIA Will not support few desktop users with fedora or debian. About vaapi on Firefox is a red hat choice. Not against NVIDIA since they are the primary partners in Linux world and ONLY a sub from IBM who gives up from Linux desktop years ago
      RHEL is dafaulting to Wayland which means Wayland is now the default in the enterprise Linux world, this matters a lot. Eventually people will get bored of Canonicals shit and move to other distros if they want better battery life etc.

Nvidia hates Linux.

The Linux driver model is that all driver developments happens upstream and open source, if you don't like that model and actively work agaisnt it (as Nvidia do), then you must hate Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        RHEL is dafaulting to Wayland which means Wayland is now the default in the enterprise Linux world, this matters a lot.
        I'm under the impression that enterprise could give a rip about wayland. I could be wrong.

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        Eventually people will get bored of Canonicals shit and move to other distros if they want better battery life etc.
        Eventually, like 10 years ago.

Comment

Dont put words on my mouth. And red hat is not the default enterprise in Europeu for Linux and most of their installs dom t use a de. I have two machines até home One with manjaro/ Ubuntu all and hardware and a laptop with Intel NVIDIA combo because of lack of alternative in my country. Ubuntu and canonical bring and push the desktop for Linux world. Ubuntu 16.04 was great and focal os very good already and they probily push wayland for 20.10. a working desktop for all proposes.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            I'm under the impression that enterprise could give a rip about wayland. I could be wrong.

Eventually, like 10 years ago.
            Enterprise Linux doesn't give a shit about the desktop to be honest, they only care that there's something there if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
              The idea to not enable VA-API on X11 is simply moronic. Considering they don't implement it themselves, but rely on ffmpeg, which I don't recall needing either Wayland or X11, I can't see a reason for them to discriminate against it.
              Videos are embedded in web pages, and compositing works very differently between Wayland and X.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                Britoid Ironically Nvidia doesn’t carry all the blame. They rely on third party code in their drivers. If the source code got public Nvidia would get sued by patent troll and competitors.

Some cross licensing agreements are in place but not enough. Patents suck.
                Well yes, it's acceptibly known that Nvidia can not open source their driver for the same reasons Windows can not be open sourced.

But AMD had the same problem with flgrx, you know what they did? Dumped it and made a new open source driver.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                  Without Ubuntu wayland is a dead end.
                  Nice attempt at rewriting history. Canonical used tools like libhybris made for Wayland to implement MIR, then a display server, before abandoning the latter in favour of Wayland compositor approach. Wayland as protocol thrived without Canonical because it already used in embedded, mobile and desktop.

Comment

The scary part is that 144Hz came into this thread about 20 mins after the initial post, and simply repeated the name of the developer and the company he worked for, shook his pom-poms, added nothing of value and exited stage right, and 15 or so accounts "liked" that. Don't ever give money to Phoronix or Michael. What a con artist! Keep your ad blockers up. Don't get fooled like me. If 144Hz is allowed to roam free, this site is a disaster zone, like that uhhhh Chernobyl place. Tell Michael to defenestrate 144Hz permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                      The idea to not enable VA-API on X11 is simply moronic. Considering they don't implement it themselves, but rely on ffmpeg, which I don't recall needing either Wayland or X11, I can't see a reason for them to discriminate against it.
                      No need to guess, check out the bug yourself. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1619523

Step 1 is switching X11 builds to use EGL rather than GLX, which is already mostly done but needs someone to figure out why the performance is so poor. Then on to adding DMA-BUF support under X11.

Feel free to contribute the patches, no one is blocking this.

Comment

Working...
                      X