Firefox 76 Enabling VA-API Wayland Acceleration For All Video Codecs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Ouch, you've been roasted for asking a question, now you know what Linux fanboyism is like and why it's steady at 1%.
    I did I miss something? The responses to Nvidia/Wayland was very diplomatic IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      They need to make this to work on X server too.
      If ffmpeg, which works everywhere, even on Windows, does all the hard work or decoding, I don't understand what's the problem to make it work on X too.
      I like Wayland, but it's slow adoption could take even more years and not distribution, as far as I know, comes with it by default.
      Fedora, SUSE, RHEL and Debian are shipping with Wayland by default, Fedora has for years.

ffmpeg isn't a web browser, firefox has to embed that video with other content, how they're doing it is different on Wayland and Xorg. Wayland was first because it's the current technology and relatively easier.

Comment

VAAPI actually works very well in Chromium on openSUSE in wayland. However I noticed that while Firefox with the default settings, weighs heavily on the CPU when playing FHD videos, Chrome without VAAPI has much lower CPU consumption, it is no coincidence that with Firefox the fans make themselves heard, while with Chrome no .

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post

I don't want to take away from the work Martin has done here, but i have to ask. Are you a paid shill ? You seem to prop up redhat, and gnome in particular, into uber fanboy heights. So, do you get money from redhat ?
          If that's a yes -- how much and where do I sign up?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

If that's a yes -- how much and where do I sign up?
            You can sign up at https://ubuntu.com

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              mos87 Just because you feel offended
              What by a 2 bob troll?)))) I don't. Try harder next time darling.

Comment

The idea to not enable VA-API on X11 is simply moronic. Considering they don't implement it themselves, but rely on ffmpeg, which I don't recall needing either Wayland or X11, I can't see a reason for them to discriminate against it.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                  The idea to not enable VA-API on X11 is simply moronic. Considering they don't implement it themselves, but rely on ffmpeg, which I don't recall needing either Wayland or X11, I can't see a reason for them to discriminate against it.
                  I guess the reason is simple, in Wayland it works well, on Xorg there are problems, I see it when on Xorg I use Chromium with VA-API, there are some problems, with some videos

Comment

Decades of excuses tho. Makes you wonder...

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                      RedHat is paying for the developer's time, so RedHat gets to decide what the developer will work on. There's no technical obstacle to X support, what's needed is someone to write the code. Using words like "moronic" and "discrimination" here, that's... well, moronic.

And no, they don't rely on ffmpeg. As has been said already (and needs to be repeated again and again in every thread about in-browser video playback), the issue isn't decoding the video, it's integrating it into the webpage. That's not ffmpeg's job. That's the job of the browser-internal webpage compositor, Mozilla calls theirs Webrender.

Comment

Working...
                      X