No announcement yet.

Firefox 76 Enabling VA-API Wayland Acceleration For All Video Codecs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The idea to not enable VA-API on X11 is simply moronic. Considering they don't implement it themselves, but rely on ffmpeg, which I don't recall needing either Wayland or X11, I can't see a reason for them to discriminate against it.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
      The idea to not enable VA-API on X11 is simply moronic. Considering they don't implement it themselves, but rely on ffmpeg, which I don't recall needing either Wayland or X11, I can't see a reason for them to discriminate against it.
      I guess the reason is simple, in Wayland it works well, on Xorg there are problems, I see it when on Xorg I use Chromium with VA-API, there are some problems, with some videos

Comment

Decades of excuses tho. Makes you wonder...

Comment

RedHat is paying for the developer's time, so RedHat gets to decide what the developer will work on. There's no technical obstacle to X support, what's needed is someone to write the code. Using words like "moronic" and "discrimination" here, that's... well, moronic.

And no, they don't rely on ffmpeg. As has been said already (and needs to be repeated again and again in every thread about in-browser video playback), the issue isn't decoding the video, it's integrating it into the webpage. That's not ffmpeg's job. That's the job of the browser-internal webpage compositor, Mozilla calls theirs Webrender.

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post
            Has anyone seen this too? Should report to bugzilla or am I doing sonething wrong?
            https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1619585

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              Thanks, I have already found that and the workaround seems to be working. Now only if Gnome and/or Plasma wayland sessions worked propertly. FF freezing every time the window is resized on Plasma and GNOME taking about a minute to start (if it even starts).

Comment

Are you going to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  Red Hat's Martin Stránský. As always.
                  144Hz. As always.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
                    what on Earth is ?
                    What on earth is fake leather, fake meat, a fake hip, fake taxi's, etc.? Come on, don't ask questions you already know the answer to.
                    Last edited by Vistaus; 03-19-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      Red Hat's Martin Stránský. As always.
                      19 people support trolling and GNOME and KDE's death.

When you like 144Hz, you like trolling.
                      When you like 144Hz, you like killing the other desktops and achieving the evil monopoly GNOME is!
                      A freaking man-made disaster with no freedom!

Ugh, or did you create 19 accounts to like yourself...?
                      Last edited by tildearrow; 03-19-2020, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X