Firefox 70 Released With JavaScript Baseline Interpreter, Other Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Will DMABUF help at all with Wayland performance/responsiveness?

Looking forward to other Wayland improvements though, Firefox imho is the best browser for Wayland desktops right now. I've already tried the Chromium Wayland ports and it's very far behind.

Also looking forward to the official Flatpak packages now that the blocker for those is gone.
    AFAIK the biggest improvements will be with WebGL, video decoding and similar stuff where right now things have to get copied from GPU memory to RAM and back. This is currently the case for WebGL, while for video decoding it didn't make sense until now to bother with decoding on the GPU because of the round trip afterwards. With DMABUF it finally makes sense to utilize GPU video decoding because the result can stay there.

Comment

Already built it from the source ZIP a day before the binaries were published.

No time to test it yet though. Still using FF64 out of laziness and habit.

Comment

Terrific news. It really would be magical if it scrolled totally fluidly as a native Wayland window. Seems like it's within grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
          There also have been a ton of Wayland improvements. On Fedora 31 it's even enabled by default (although only for the Gnome Shell), so I see good chances to get flipped on for everyone by 72-73. If then Webrender finally rides the trains (it's on nightly already for a while) we should be be in good shape, eventually. Note that there's experimental DMABUF support in the Wayland backend. Together with Webrender it brings hardware video acceleration into stone throwing distance.
          FF 70 is absolutely solid in wayland. There's been a few glitches (fixed) during the beta period, but right now it's working really well. I'm considering switching back to stable from the beta channel as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post

I used to like dillo for reading local html documentation, when it was simple, back in the day. I had htm and html file associations in my file manager pointing to dillo.

I did similar. Sadly Dillo is unmaintained and as you hinted towards: many html documents are using features it doesn't understand now.

You might like to checkout this: https://www.netsurf-browser.org/

It has some similarities with Dillo, but it's actively developed & maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
              This version is using kinetic/momentum scrolling of GTK 3 if you’re using a trackpad (at least on Arch). That makes a tremendous difference! Together with WebRender improvements, we now have macOS-class buttery soft scrolling. If it doesn’t work for you, you have to enable hardware acceleration and MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1, see here: https://www.frumble.de/blog/2017/03/...beschleunigung (in German, but you can use a translation service).
              On my plasma X11 desktop I get the same massive trackpad improvements. It really makes a tremendous improvement! (I didn't do anything, on Gentoo)

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post

On my plasma X11 desktop I get the same massive trackpad improvements. It really makes a tremendous improvement! (I didn't do anything, on Gentoo)
                Yep, just updated, too, and scrolling improved heavily. Awesome release!

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

But the firefox that supports it ahs been anounced ( as well as Chrome).

I tried latest verison of bothj on the test page:

And it still reports access through TCP4 rather than UDP.

I'd like to have good client tool for testing...

Yeah, but it doesn't make sense to add/enable support until the spec is final, or they will have to support draft versions.

Once they believe the spec is stable enough I'm sure they will enable it. Until then you can use cURL to test it.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Yeah, but it doesn't make sense to add/enable support until the spec is final, or they will have to support draft versions.

Once they believe the spec is stable enough I'm sure they will enable it. Until then you can use cURL to test it.
                    Why not ? AFAIK Chrome has to be started with --enable-quic or somesuch option.

FF could do the same or similar. Like, having a bool within about://config that has to be flipped on.

This way, it could be used for testing ( server as well as client) without support obligation outside of that particular test.
                    Last edited by Brane215; 23 October 2019, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      Too bad I cannot update it on Windows 7 too because of the forced upgrade crap they put in after version 62, which I don't like at all.
                      Also their greed for user's data with constant nagging about sync feature makes me not trust Mozilla anymore.
                      So, I don't know what to say, I'm wayting for an ungoogled-chromium of Firefox.
                      The sync feature is not a problem, Firefox sync uses your password/passprhase to generate key and encrypts it on your machine/device before uploading. Mozilla has no access to your data. Theya couple of years ago actually spend a lot of time (maybe over a year) on making this protocol/system. Mozilla didn't want to get any government coming to them asking for any data, they don't want any access to it. It's similar to e2e messaging (although these days that could get the government on your neck too *sad face*).

Comment

Working...
                      X