Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

You might like to checkout this: https://www.netsurf-browser.org/

It has some similarities with Dillo, but it's actively developed & maintained.
    Thanks for that, I got netsurf and set it to open local html files in my X File Explorer file manager. I've been testing it on files in /usr/doc and it seems to be the ticket. Firefox is overkill for reading docs.

Silly build process though, with outdated build documentation, requirements that didn't exist when the docs were written, Perl modules, binaries, PATHs and new library checkouts that aren't mentioned anywhere and so on. After I finally got through it, I just manually installed it to /usr/local/bin, share and symlinked netsurf-gtk to netsurf to make it easier to remember. It's a 4.6 Mb binary after stripping... not bad.

P.S. That was on Slackware, it was a wee bit easier on my Manjaro... pacman -Syu netsurf :-)
    Last edited by Grogan; 23 October 2019, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post

Thanks for that, I got netsurf and set it to open local html files in my X File Explorer file manager. I've been testing it on files in /usr/doc and it seems to be the ticket. Firefox is overkill for reading docs.

Silly build process though, with outdated build documentation, requirements that didn't exist when the docs were written, Perl modules, binaries, PATHs and new library checkouts that aren't mentioned anywhere and so on. After I finally got through it, I just manually installed it to /usr/local/bin, share and symlinked netsurf-gtk to netsurf to make it easier to remember. It's a 4.6 Mb binary after stripping... not bad.

P.S. That was on Slackware, it was a wee bit easier on my Manjaro... pacman -Syu netsurf :-)
      Wow, nice to see you're using it. It was an Acorn user that first told me about that browser. Netsurf supports quite a few obscure / hobbyist platforms.

Shame about the build documentation. Some people are more the 'hack it together until it works' type. I expect they've had a fair few code commits from those types and thus they haven't sufficiently updated the documentation as the code has been improved.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
        Shame about the build documentation. Some people are more the 'hack it together until it works' type. I expect they've had a fair few code commits from those types and thus they haven't sufficiently updated the documentation as the code has been improved.
        To be fair, they expect you to use a build bootstrapping script (maybe that's current) but you can't run things like that on Slackware, they are for the big distros like *buntu and Fedora etc. It was git sources too. I had all the main system dependencies the manual build doc specified so I thought I was good to go, but kept getting stopped for missing project libraries that had to be built in the env, a bindings generator there was no mention of that had to be checked out, built and needed PATH, as well as some html related perl modules. It also didn't like my installed utf8proc which there was also no mention of in the first place.

Stuff like that. No biggy, I wasn't that angry about it and at least the build failures were informative enough.

It's actually not a bad browser, certainly more useful than some of those other minimalist browsers I've tried. It's got enough functionality to log in, post, upload attachments etc. in a vbulletin forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Lennie View Post

The sync feature is not a problem, Firefox sync uses your password/passprhase to generate key and encrypts it on your machine/device before uploading. Mozilla has no access to your data. Theya couple of years ago actually spend a lot of time (maybe over a year) on making this protocol/system. Mozilla didn't want to get any government coming to them asking for any data, they don't want any access to it. It's similar to e2e messaging (although these days that could get the government on your neck too *sad face*).
          Yeah right,
          I would've probably believed this if they werent nagging me so much with the sync feature, but they got insane with the ads for it, it too much and untrustworthy.
          And for the removal of the turn off updates option what can you say?
          How is that better for me having a backdoor always open so they can put tomorrow whatever crap they can think of.
          For me now Firefox = Windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Yeah right,
            I would've probably believed this if they werent nagging me so much with the sync feature, but they got insane with the ads for it, it too much and untrustworthy.
            And for the removal of the turn off updates option what can you say?
            How is that better for me having a backdoor always open so they can put tomorrow whatever crap they can think of.
            For me now Firefox = Windows 10.
            You do realize you can look at the source code, right? You don't have to trust Mozilla.

Comment

Working...
            X