No announcement yet.

The Faster & More Beautiful GNOME 3.32 Has Been Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm happy for GNOME and all the improvements and greatful for the hard work put out by Canonical employee (among others), especially improvements around gnome-shell and javascript backend, responsive and leaner UI is always great news for desktop users, having said this, I tested out latest 19.04 Disco Dingo daily ISO and the theme looked awfull, I do not like seeing topbar losing transparency and becoming black again in 19.04, overall Yaru theme and Suru icons is among the best combination in 18.10, but 19.04 had me vomit, it will need tons of tweaks to look somehow decent, jeez it is 2019. It appears that CSD idiocy is intensifying in 3.32 too, my stance is opposite, I believe in Server Side Decorations. It would make you think that by 3.32 they would convert all GNOME apps to have CSD, but there's still mix of both, some apps have good ol' menu bar while most are CSD already. I'm using KDE on 18.10 but I will be switching to GNOME 3.32 since it runs better on desktop with Nvidia graphics cards and it has EGLStreams support already baked in. I hate GNOME and I hate KDE, but GNOME at least has pretty sweet GVFS implementation and handles Samba shares nicely, while KDE's KIO isn't up to the bar, and there's 15 year old bug report about it https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75324. KDE is badly designed for out of the box expeirience, it is 2019 and it still has problems with baloo indexer eating all the RAM & putting unneeded strain on disks I/O, akonadi still requires a freaking mysql to aggregate some bulsh*it data, jeez. XFCE & Unity7 & Compiz & Win10 & MacOS are lit as always and dominating.
    Last edited by hax0r; 13 March 2019, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
      Will this be on Ubuntu 19.04?
      Yes 3.32 will be in Disco Dingo along with Linux 5.0.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        How on earth can a full screen start menu be beautiful in a 28 inch 4K monitor? The Gnome3 desktop humiliates users.
        Use a 49" 1080p TV and ask the same question. Gnome does not scale well with large screens.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

From my understanding it has been fine for a long time... but much improved in this release. unless you use nVidia graphics, when they can do any random thing to destroy your desktop experience.
          I was running it on a chromebook with an i5 and 4GB of RAM and it could only manage 5 or 10 open FireFox tabs at a time... switched to openbox and it uses 1/3 the RAM on startup.

Comment

What I don't understand, is why RedHat uses gnome3 as the default desktop for Fedora. Don't they see how they lost thousands of users by doing that? Eventually they had to create "spins" to get some of them back (I use the cinnamon spin).

RedHat, wake up and smell the fsck'ing coffee

PS:
            take a look at awesomewm, its stunning: https://github.com/awesomeWM/awesome/issues/1395

Comment

I hate GNOME and I hate KDE, but GNOME at least has pretty sweet GVFS implementation and handles Samba shares nicely, while KDE's KIO isn't up to the bar, and there's 15 year old bug report about it https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75324. KDE is badly designed for out of the box expeirience, it is 2019 and it still has problems with baloo indexer eating all the RAM & putting unneeded strain on disks I/O, akonadi still requires a freaking mysql to aggregate some bulsh*it data, jeez. XFCE & Unity7 & Compiz & Win10 & MacOS are lit as always and dominating.
              I share similar experience except I consider Windows UI as the worst crap ever.

Comment

Gnome did tech me to love hot corners. But I switched to cinnamon. On Nvidia it worked okay. On AMD, it was much worse, so I switched to KDE and it worked great on AMD. KDE is a good blend of works well, stays out of my way, and has sane menus. Gnome taught me hot corners and different thinking is much better for usability. So now I have each hot corner (bottom left, bottom right)on each monitor show all my desktops to switch them. Otherwise, stop forcing me to use my damn keyboard. I have docks and desktop icons to launch my stuff on other desktops faster. It's infinitely faster than typing anything when I'm not focused on the keyboard anyway. I'll never, ever understand why they focus on that. And also making huge title bars and hiding every single piece of functionality behind two clicks, making it worse and forcing you to use the mouse any way. I'll never go back to Gnome. I think it's a cancer when it changed to 3.0. Hopefully KDE doesn't change it's paradigm of useful, features, customizable, and sane. Now if only KDE would murder dolphin and use Nemo. Every time something comes up in it by accident, try to use it, and immediately close it because it's terrible. Otherwise, at least one desktop is featured, good with games & full screen apps, and highly usable with an actual fucking desktop. It'll never be gnome, unless they get their shit together and kill this stupid design they're pushing for everything. It all sucks. Whoever decided that as a whole should never touch any software or UI design ever again. Cancerous.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  How on earth can a full screen start menu be beautiful in a 28 inch 4K monitor? The Gnome3 desktop humiliates users.
                  Spend a lot of time staring at the start menu, do you? I can't say I've really looked at it in years of using Gnome... it's just something you occasionally interact with without really paying much attention to..

Comment

I like gnome 3 and the way it is heading, too. "Full Screen Startmenu" is not remotely related to what activities does, so anyone doubting that useful search / task switcher / launcher a startmenu really shows his yesterday thinking. What's next? Be bleeding edge, use Debian?

I use XFCE on some remote machines via X2GO, because of its low weight making it kind of appropriate for that, but boy, that feels so yesterday and clumsy in comparison. I wouldn't like to go back to that on my local, decent workhorse computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                      I like gnome 3 and the way it is heading, too. "Full Screen Startmenu" is not remotely related to what activities does, so anyone doubting that useful search / task switcher / launcher a startmenu really shows his yesterday thinking. What's next? Be bleeding edge, use Debian?

I use XFCE on some remote machines via X2GO, because of its low weight making it kind of appropriate for that, but boy, that feels so yesterday and clumsy in comparison. I wouldn't like to go back to that on my local, decent workhorse computer.
                      To me, the opposite is true: G3 seems old modern only in the appearance and "coolness". I can customise Xfce a lot, right now with just a few shortcut I've a hybrid tiling/overlapping window manager, I can do a lot of stuff faster using keyboard instead of mouse.
                      G3 can't do anything like it, it doesn't have a right-click menu, neither any proper customisation, nor any tray icon support (how the fsck should I use torrent/telegram/chat program/whatever according to them?) and their dock/panelbar is just ridiculous; plus it's slower and heavier (and I'm using i7 2600k + SSD).

Comment

Working...
                      X