The Faster & More Beautiful GNOME 3.32 Has Been Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
    Does gnome3 still have that horrible interface that's a combo between apple and microsoft?

last time I used it, it was an awful experience. I disliked how gnome3 tried to force me to switch desktops from top to bottom instead of left to right. I'm now using cinnamon, which is waaay much better for my needs, and its intuitive and modern.
    The reason they do this is because UI studies have shown that to be easier, mostly because it's easier to push a mouse than it is to pull it. It's hard to get over habits but try it for a while, you'll get use to it.. and it is easier. Your wrist will thank you.

And almost everyone has moved away from "task listing" into full pics of the app window. Even Android does this. Gnome may look like a Mac some.. but it works nothing like it. (it's better)
    Last edited by k1e0x; 14 March 2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I just ditched Gnome on my laptop. Have been running Ubuntu foe the last 8 years and always went with default DE. I do almost no customization.
      Somehow on Ubuntu 18.10 Gnome was slowsl than my old Sandy Bridge based laptop ran on 18.04. Any notifixation would freeze my desktop for ~1 sec. And every day in the morning I had to do a plug-monitor, unplug-monitor, put laptop to sleep, wake it up dance until my second screen would be correctly identified.

I am now on XFCE, does not look nice but I do not care much about looks. i do care about the DE staying out of my way which XFCE is good at.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

IBM owns red-hat that has Microsoft as partner. Both IBM and Microsoft have the motivation and money to prevent the Linux desktop success.
        Hahahaha! You still flogging this dead horse, Dweebian? Have you considered a companion animal? I don't mean for sex. It can help people who have lost a loved one, or suffered some kind of trauma, or are just plain losers.

Comment

IBM bought redhat some months ago, so thats rather irrelevant on why redhat chose gnome3 many years ago.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

IBM owns red-hat that has Microsoft as partner. Both IBM and Microsoft have the motivation and money to prevent the Linux desktop success.

Comment

studies have shown nothing about gnome3.

"almost everyone"? I think not. gnome3 is such a failure that eventually Fedora lost most of its userbase and redhat was forced to create "spins" to get some of that userbase back.

now redhat is trying to add some kind of tracking id on Fedora installations to see how many people use it, considering Fedora has been failing to impress the general linux public and all that due to a horrible gnome3 desktop.

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

The reason they do this is because UI studies have shown that to be easier, mostly because it's easier to push a mouse than it is to pull it. It's hard to get over habits but try it for a while, you'll get use to it.. and it is easier. Your wrist will thank you.

And almost everyone has moved away from "task listing" into full pics of the app window. Even Android does this. Gnome may look like a Mac some.. but it works nothing like it. (it's better)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              No, not a lot but every time you do it goes fullscreen and whatever you were looking at disappears, so it causes a context switch in your brain.
              Windows 8 also had this fullscreen start menu screen, but it was so hated they brought back the start menu in Windows 10.
              For me, the menu is open so briefly that it doesn't really count as a context switch... it's just a few keystrokes, so while I'm vaguely aware that the screen briefly flickered onto something else, it doesn't really register enough to be a distraction.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That and the lack of a system tray are my issues with Gnome..
                I'd bet a combination of the extensions "TopIcons Plus" and "KStatusNotifierItem/AppIndicator" would fix a lot of your system tray gripes. (Upgrade issues with extensions notwithstanding.)

I got back on the Gnome train around 3.14 and I just don't feel the need to switch. I've had my fair share of issues, but I just don't get the hate Gnome engenders in people. Gnome really isn't targeted at me as more of a power user, but it's relatively consistent, attractive, and gets out of the way.

My main complaints are the dumb as rocks file manager (easily replaced with Nemo), and the breakage of extensions on upgrades (I do use about 20 of them, e.g. Volume Mixer, Dash to Panel, Clipboard Indicator, cpufreq, Freon, Screenshot Tool, etc.). Said breakage is minimized by delaying upgrades on my Arch boxes and sticking to well maintained extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

I'd bet a combination of the extensions "TopIcons Plus" and "KStatusNotifierItem/AppIndicator" would fix a lot of your system tray gripes. (Upgrade issues with extensions notwithstanding.)

I got back on the Gnome train around 3.14 and I just don't feel the need to switch. I've had my fair share of issues, but I just don't get the hate Gnome engenders in people. Gnome really isn't targeted at me as more of a power user, but it's relatively consistent, attractive, and gets out of the way.

My main complaints are the dumb as rocks file manager (easily replaced with Nemo), and the breakage of extensions on upgrades (I do use about 20 of them, e.g. Volume Mixer, Dash to Panel, Clipboard Indicator, cpufreq, Freon, Screenshot Tool, etc.). Said breakage is minimized by delaying upgrades on my Arch boxes and sticking to well maintained extensions.
                  Just using KStatusNotifierItem works for me, TopIcons Plus tends to be the cause of a lot of slow down/crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

Like I said before, I don't like using plugins with my desktop because when the desktop updates and my used plugins don't, it doesn't always go smoothly. I'd prefer not having to pin my entire desktop suite or delay updating my system over a few plugins. IMHO, it's also annoying if you don't know what plugins are well maintained or not so you have to read assloads of changelogs, check commit histories, etc. I consider that to be too much BS for a system tray and a start menu...things a major desktop environment should support and include by default.

Comment

My biggest complaints about GNOME:
                      1. It's ugly. At least compared to KDE, macOS or even Windows. Adwaita theme and default font settings are pure shit. CSD is horrible mess.
                      2. Very poor hidpi support, no fractional scale, looks either too small or too big on modern displays, totally unusable. Wayland doesn't work yet (for daily serious work) and I am not really sure will ever work.
                      3. Unusable out of the box. Non-tech users are just blown away how shitty it looks and behaves without doing some 'tweaks' or installing extensions. Modern DE is supposed to be user-friendly and beautiful without the need to do some tricks.
                      4. Ridiculous default workflow with workspaces and lack of minimize buttons, I mean really, who in their sane mind would ever use that.
                      5. Lack of customization options. Keep removing them, yeah.
                      6. Dependencies on 3rd party buggy unmaintained extensions just to provide a bare usability level.

Comment

Working...
                      X