Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Developer Shows Linux Commands Seamlessly Integrated Within Windows PowerShell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
    Leave Linux alone!
    That won't take you anywhere. The answer is: get cracking, Linux take the bull by the horns and don't stop until you are an actual desktop OS as good as, or better than, Windows or Macos.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Probably to some bastardized mutant hybrid.

Microsoft's new strategy is Infiltrate, Redirect, Absorb.

This is literally their strategy they used when they Infiltrated Nokia, Redirected them to make bad decisions, and then bought them at a low price to remove them from the competition pool.
      You got this so precisely (Microsoft ❤ Linux = Infiltrate, GNOME Shell = Redirect, ??? = Absorb), although isn't it the same as EEE? Because:
      - Infiltrate = Embrace
      - Absorb = Extinguish (when you absorb you exterminate)

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
        Windows has fantastic Windows Terminal and Powershell integration inside of desktop Linux. I can run all the Powershell commands I need right from Xfce or Gnome Shell! Awesome job Microsoft! Love the new feature! :3

What am I looking at here?

Comment

How about Microsoft works on actual interoperability. Stopping to hijack wget and curl commands on Windows PowerShell, and not aliasing them to Invoke-WebRequest would be a start. Similar to other Unix commands like ls and rm.
          They block use of the commonly used command line tools without providing even an attempt to offer the same functionality. They serve no purpose for PowerShell users but cause confusion and problems...

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

What am I looking at here?
            It is Xaero_Vincent's pseudo-Linux Windows OS install.
            ​​​​​It is basically Windows with the shell replaced by a full-screen instance of VMWare running a Linux distro with some scripts to run Windows games from that Linux virtualized instance.
            This way he thinks he can get support for all Windows games while having a Linux desktop running.

What is surprising is that he somehow got the Linux terminal window to appear as if it were part of the desktop instead of being always underneath (which was the case in 2017).
            Last edited by tildearrow; 26 September 2019, 08:32 PM.

Comment

This is Great. The only problem is

I want bash instead of powershell, even on Windows....

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                This is Great. The only problem is

I want bash instead of powershell, even on Windows....
                This is great just replace all the Windows bits with all the Linux bits and we'll call it perfect.

Comment

If you just want grep, run bash scripts and stuff like that couldn't you just install git on Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by robojerk View Post
                    If you just want grep, run bash scripts and stuff like that couldn't you just install git on Windows?
                    They're doing this so that you don't have to.

Comment

Haha classic. Embrace extend extinguish)

Comment

Working...
                      X