Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Developer Shows Linux Commands Seamlessly Integrated Within Windows PowerShell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Developer Shows Linux Commands Seamlessly Integrated Within Windows PowerShell

Phoronix: Microsoft Developer Shows Linux Commands Seamlessly Integrated Within Windows PowerShell

While Windows itself has begun offering Tar and OpenSSH support among other integration improvements for traditional Linux administrators, it's possible to seamlessly integrate Linux commands within the PowerShell thanks to some features of PowerShell intermixed with Microsoft's Windows Subsystem for Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...SL-Integration

• yoshi314
    replied
    Originally posted by swagg_boi View Post
    Finally, the ability to run tar from the command line! What a break through, I'll take 2 tar Professional edition licenses plz!!
    sure, let me send you my account number.

Leave a comment:

• swagg_boi
    replied
    Finally, the ability to run tar from the command line! What a break through, I'll take 2 tar Professional edition licenses plz!!

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by ryad View Post
    Wow, this hate against MS is still real, even in 2019.
    Guys grow up, this news is good news for everybody!
    As an Arch user for over 10 years now, I really respect and appreciate the WSL efforts.
    Of course it's going strong still in 2019. Microsoft is only at the power position that they are in the industry thanks to their shady business practices, that is just not something that you can let go just because they now hands out some candy to the poor, especially since the only reason they can hand out that candy is since they stole it to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by robojerk View Post
    If you just want grep, run bash scripts and stuff like that couldn't you just install git on Windows?
    Or Cygwin?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
    I want bash instead of powershell, even on Windows....
    Meh, bash, scmasch. Fish ftw

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by calc View Post

Nokia made most of those bad decisions on their own sticking to Symbian well after it was clear they should have switched to making Android phones. Elop, who was from Microsoft, came in well after (Sep 2010) they had already missed the boat. Android 2.2 was already out by then.

Even the phones they had been shipping up until that time like the N8 were heavily delayed.
    Sticking with Symbian wasn't too bad. What was bad, however, was that they let it stagnate. Had they done as much with Symbian as Google did with Android, I'm pretty sure it would've been the 3rd major OS and still be competitive to this very day.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Originally posted by ryad View Post
    Wow, this hate against MS is still real, even in 2019.
    Guys grow up, this news is good news for everybody!
    As an Arch user for over 10 years now, I really respect and appreciate the WSL efforts.
    Never trust this man especially if he offers you sweeties.

Leave a comment:

• borovaka
    replied
    Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
    Is WSL open source? How does Microsoft deal with the terms of the GNU GPL to make all this happen?
    Actually it is. Here is the kernel used by WSL2: https://github.com/microsoft/WSL2-Linux-Kernel
    They are using thing kernel on top of that they are using different distributions container images, and boot all thing in thin VM on Hyper-V.
    So they not violate anything.

For WSL1 they are implemented compatibility layer inside the NT kernel, who translates Linux Syscalls in to Windows - so they not violate anything there too.

Actually MS are contributing patents and technologies to OpenSource lately - for example exfat implementation, 60,000 patents etc. - So it is not so bad

Leave a comment:

• Lynden
    replied
    Being stuck with Windows at work... I like the WSL1 thing (in combo with mintty), it has far less annoying quirks than a full VM or Cygwin.
    So I can happily work in vim and compile from within vim a windows program without having to deal with the crap windows vim or wine to build.

All Linux at home though and Windows can suck the big one if they want to weasel there way into there.

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
    Is WSL open source? How does Microsoft deal with the terms of the GNU GPL to make all this happen?
    No, it isn't. https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/1 (Interesting note: it's the first issue created)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X