No announcement yet.

macOS 10.13 vs. Windows 10 vs. Clear/Fedora/openSUSE/Ubuntu Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Ubuntu so slow? Userland? Kernel config? Or what?

Comment

It's sad that you didnt test with Arch. The fact that 'Arch' didnt work when you tested with manjaro and Antergos only says what we already knew.
      Arch for noobs = Antergos/Manjaro is an oxymoron and shouldnt exist at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        Why is Ubuntu so slow? Userland? Kernel config? Or what?
        Good question, slightly slower on BLAKE, much slower on Go Garbage/JSON, poor results on GraphicsMagick, 7-Zip, Stockfish, crazy slow on C-Ray etc, it doesn't make sense, how much have Canonical botched this release ?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
          I'm not a big fan of benchmarks, they often offer a distorted view of the reality that the user then finds. However I am always curious ... and I am quite satisfied with the decent behavior of Tumbleweed in the benchmarks.
          What's been nice to see lately is how well Tumbleweed keeps up in these showdowns despite Michael installing it with Btrfs and XFS instead of the faster EXT4 file system that the others are using.

Comment

It is open-source on GitHub.... If you search on Phoronix.com, you can find Clear Linux benchmarks already on Ryzen CPUs..
            I was wondering why there such a difference in performance, as clear linux seems often ahead of other distributions. I have read your articles, I just hope they keep on improving ryzen cause there is huge potential with these cpu^^

Comment

Is it just me or has Mac been doing a lot better in benchmarks? I thought from previous benchmarks Mac lost in almost every test, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Originally posted by euler271 View Post
              It's sad that you didnt test with Arch. The fact that 'Arch' didnt work when you tested with manjaro and Antergos only says what we already knew.
              Arch for noobs = Antergos/Manjaro is an oxymoron and shouldnt exist at all.
              As a long-term Arch user (and someone who never tried Antergos or Manjaro), I disagree, and this elitism you show is exactly what I dislike about being part of the Arch community.
              If I were Michael, I wouldn't test using Arch either, for the same reason he doesn't test Gentoo - it takes too much time and effort to get it set up. One of the perks of Arch is being able to use a simple install script for quick and easy (re-)deployment, but that still takes a lot more effort than I think he really cares to put into it.

Comment

I would like to see more Solus vs Clear Linux in benchmarks, 'cause Solus actually uses quite a few Clear Linux optimizations and whatnot (I am a Solus user myself, but still, I'd like to see more of how it compares to Clear Linux in terms of benchmarks)

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  While it's not surprising macOS and Windows aren't performance demons, Ubuntu should change kernel configuration. It's far from being optimal.
                  Shhhh. Don't ever say that out loud that anymore. Last time I did, I got a shitload of people all over me giving me lots of reasons why Ubuntu has an optimal configuration already and why it shouldn't change a thing. So be careful what you say...

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

This distribution is directly from Intel.... quess what they will not do...
                    This distribution has added support for AMD CPU's a while ago and are working on better support, so guess who's wrong...
                    Last edited by Vistaus; 07 June 2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                      This distribution has added support for AMD CPU's a while ago and are working on better support, so guess who's wrong...
                      Source?

Comment

Working...
                      X