GNOME Continues Working On New Installer, "Major Issue" With STF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
    Video conferences are for free and achieve the same goal.
    .​
    Lol... Why even bothering with any social aspects at all actually... People should just live on git and get a dose of C every night before bed.

If creativity, problem solving, good designs and general advancements were fostered by serendipity and people interacting with each other in a nice context without external pressure, we'd surely know it by now.

I've even pushed at work to get little enclosed cubicles for everyone, banned coffee breaks and timed toilet breaks of all our employees to make sure they can only focus on code. And of course, we have a "no talk" policy... That would be distracting. I just wonder why our productivity is crap and we've not had an idea or something new suggested in ages!

Actually, I blame Teams for this... People can still use it from home to talk to other and I think it might be too distracting to them still so I don't agree, video conference is not a good thing...

​​​​

Comment

Also for people who are lazy, the latest report is for 2022-2023. Page 2 states the remit of the non-profit and, spoiler alert, it doesn't explicitly include dev (beyond outreach).

The STF has a contract with the non-profit that covers what they want out of it. If it's devs, it will be stated in the report after next.

It is sad that I don't even use Gnome myself and yet feel compelled to play captn obvious when people get frustrated because they literally have no clue of what they talk about and get flustered only because they misunderstand...

Last word regarding conference... Who do you think organizes the GUADEC? Who do you think serves as legal entity to manage the money? Where do you think the bulk of the money spent in conferences comes from? How much do you think a conference like that alone costs? Come on, use your brain, just a little...

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        How great would it be if the Gnome project ceased to exist?
        I was wondering the same this morning about Linux, toasters, cars and bees actually...

Comment

How? If they are so awful as you all always say, the 10.000 times better KDE Desktop sure will soon be much more popular and Distros all replace gnome as standard desktop and don't ship it anymore and soon we see upstart again after Ubuntu switched back to gnome with it's tail between the legs?

How about they start to release a absolute nuclear war stable desktop that UI is not like eye cancer producing... and people start using it maybe. This Windows ME Clone of Plasma. That nobody even know what's it's named now Plasma or KDE.

You can say all day that I am wrong, but the people vote with their feet against KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

Please provide sources for this claim.
            Incompetence is in plain sight

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

How? If they are so awful as you all always say, the 10.000 times better KDE Desktop sure will soon be much more popular and Distros all replace gnome as standard desktop and don't ship it anymore and soon we see upstart again after Ubuntu switched back to gnome with it's tail between the legs?

How about they start to release a absolute nuclear war stable desktop that UI is not like eye cancer producing... and people start using it maybe. This Windows ME Clone of Plasma. That nobody even know what's it's named now Plasma or KDE.

You can say all day that I am wrong, but the people vote with their feet against KDE.
              GNOME has been chosen as the reference DE by all enterprise distributions for a few reasons, it is very minimal and this allows distributions to support fewer things and consequently is easier to maintain, enterprise distributions when they need a DE, have it need for really minimal things, like having a window with a certain application, also it has longer support and this is perfect for enterprise deployments.
              However this is not ideal for the classic desktop user who has many more needs, there are extensions but they are not officially supported and could be abandoned or broken at any time.
              Comparing GNOME to Plasma makes no logical sense because they have different targets, they are both excellent DEs but different.
              After that this absurd DE war is just rubbish, we have the possibility of having two great DEs, what's the problem? Use whatever you want or both, what's the problem?​

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post
                Comparing GNOME to Plasma makes no logical sense because they have different targets, they are both excellent DEs but different.
                After that this absurd DE war is just rubbish, we have the possibility of having two great DEs, what's the problem? Use whatever you want or both, what's the problem?​
                I didn't say "how great it would be to gnome not to exist" or something towards Plasma, I just said there is a reason Gnome is liked by many. You added some other reasons, Plasma don't even makes all the cinemans and whatnot dead and new one starts, so it can't be the argument for some strange reasons big distros use Gnome and therefor it's popular no people that are not pushed by a distro in that direction go out of their way to not use Plasma.

It's the same crowd that loves BSD, "look the shiny ZFS" vs "ohh look the shiny unstable graphics feature XY" except that you get something similar much sooner as than with ZFS when it's solid and thought through.

It's a very strange crowd that likes Plasma for me some sort of pseudo poweruser that than for some reasons are heavy into mouse use... which is a contradiction in my mind professionals should avoid mouse usage outside for CAD / drawing programs, even for drawing probably such pen-pads are better. And some people that apparently love the estetics of something like Windows ME (or XP to be more fair).

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
                  Video conferences are for free and achieve the same goal.
                  There are scientific experiments that personal contact is much better to create trust and cooperation between people. Video conferences works fine if you already trust the others but not so much if you never met.

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post

[...] enterprise distributions [...]​
                    Note: Kubuntu uses KDE software, comes preinstalled in several laptops and desktops (Tuxedo, Slimbook, laptopWithLinux.com, Kubuntu Focus, Vant and other companies) and has technical support that can be hired. (That's very important in the workplace).

Comment

I wouldn't really care. But then, I don't use KDE, and only KDE users care about GNOME anyway.

I don't understand people. If you don't like a software project, or company, or any product really, then don't use it.

What is the point in even commenting on an article about something you don't like? Do you need confirmation from others that you made the right decision choosing something else? Can't you figure that for yourself? Are you a child?
                      Last edited by NateHubbard; 26 May 2024, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X