GNOME Continues Working On New Installer, "Major Issue" With STF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    How great would it be if the Gnome project ceased to exist?
    Lead by example, loser

Comment

We see GNOME in the news, we smile

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

Note: Kubuntu uses KDE software, comes preinstalled in several laptops and desktops (Tuxedo, Slimbook, laptopWithLinux.com, Kubuntu Focus, Vant and other companies) and has technical support that can be hired. (That's very important in the workplace).
        In fact...in my opinion for desktop use Plasma is even better than GNOME, but I was referring to enterprise distributions, RH, SUSE etc. this type of distributions rarely have a desktop market, but sometimes customers need to have a graphical interface to make their business app appear for example.
        These distributions want to support as few things as possible so as to have fewer problems.​

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

I didn't say "how great it would be to gnome not to exist" or something towards Plasma, I just said there is a reason Gnome is liked by many. You added some other reasons, Plasma don't even makes all the cinemans and whatnot dead and new one starts, so it can't be the argument for some strange reasons big distros use Gnome and therefor it's popular no people that are not pushed by a distro in that direction go out of their way to not use Plasma.

It's the same crowd that loves BSD, "look the shiny ZFS" vs "ohh look the shiny unstable graphics feature XY" except that you get something similar much sooner as than with ZFS when it's solid and thought through.

It's a very strange crowd that likes Plasma for me some sort of pseudo poweruser that than for some reasons are heavy into mouse use... which is a contradiction in my mind professionals should avoid mouse usage outside for CAD / drawing programs, even for drawing probably such pen-pads are better. And some people that apparently love the estetics of something like Windows ME (or XP to be more fair).
          The way a user uses their PC should be their business and is absolutely not strange, a DE should give a good experience whether you want to use the mouse or whether you prefer keyboard shortcuts.
          GNOME is not as popular as you say, it only has the advantage of being pre-installed on the most popular distributions, but even this is not enough to make it more popular.
          There have been various surveys, which certainly have no scientific value, but they can give an idea of ​​the fact that GNOME is not that popular despite everything.
          Claiming that using KDE Plasma is equivalent to being strange is a compliment anyway, better strange than sheep.

Even the definition that Plasma is similar to Windows ME, it doesn't make any sense, they are completely different....Plasma is a modern DE that uses modern technologies that didn't even exist at that time, it has features that didn't exist at that time, but it has a traditional GUI that you can still easily modify to your liking.
          But if you like Gnome use Gnome, if you like Plasma use Plasma freedom of choice is a great value, without making people seem strange depending on what they use as a graphical interface, this is really childish.​​

Comment

Amazon WorkSpaces comes with MATE and I think it is a much superior desktop experience than GNOME and so very lightweight they can run millions of it without breaking their bank.

So desktop/home user: Plasma
            Server/Container/Corporate/Remote/Tunneling user: MATE

Where is the place for GNOME with their pretty hefty hardware demands and unusual UI/UX concepts for endpoints without touchpad, hardware acceleration etc?

Comment

What hefty demands does GNOME have?

Comment

Hmmm... Doesn't seem like there's enough information to make a comment one way or another.

Acknowledging that, knowing anything about German bureaucracy any German public money is going to come with a lot of reporting and oversight. Something the Gnome foundation is probably not used to and maybe expected to be able to use that money pretty freely. But were instead met with a very narrowly defined use and stringent reporting requirements to ensure the money is spent on it and nothing else. Not a penny for conferences, administrative expenses and especially outreach.

Maybe they even thought they could negotiate some portion of this being available for other things. But you don't negotiate with German bureaucrats. You do as they tell you, fill out all the forms and send them in or you don't get any money. They'll gladly not dispense it and just return it all to the treasury at the end of the period its been allocated to.

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post
                  it only has the advantage of being pre-installed on the most popular distributions
                  this is really childish.​​
                  I must admit that's the kind of thing that really make me smile... As long as it's Not-What-I-Use, critiques and personal opinions are fine but when the same thing applies to What-I-Use, it's childish... Anyway, that made me an entertaining breakfast.

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                  Hmmm... Doesn't seem like there's enough information to make a comment one way or another.

Acknowledging that, knowing anything about German bureaucracy ...
                  Why trying to infer what is going on? The problem with the foundation has to do with how it was setup, their current level of finance and how to unlock money while most of their means to do so are frozen.

Comment

Originally posted by User42 View Post

I must admit that's the kind of thing that really make me smile... As long as it's Not-What-I-Use, critiques and personal opinions are fine but when the same thing applies to What-I-Use, it's childish... Anyway, that made me an entertaining breakfast.

Why trying to infer what is going on? The problem with the foundation has to do with how it was setup, their current level of finance and how to unlock money while most of their means to do so are frozen.
                    I'm happy to make your day but what I wrote is funny but it's also reality and reality is funny sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by User42 View Post
                      Isn't that what you're doing? Most people don't know how rigid German bureaucracy is so even if I happen to be off base, at least part of the comment was both informative and true.

Comment

Working...
                      X