Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Publishes Draft Of Five-Year Strategic Plan

Phoronix: GNOME Publishes Draft Of Five-Year Strategic Plan

The GNOME Foundation has published a draft copy of their five-year strategic plan that calls for more around the community, DEI, services, a more streamlined and inclusive annual event, and strengthening the foundation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I see very few technical goals here, and thats why I have a bad feeling about it.
    It reminds me a bit of the goals set by the Mozilla Foundation a few years ago.

Comment

non detailed politburo 5 year plan. what could possible go wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
        I see very few technical goals here, and thats why I have a bad feeling about it.
        It reminds me a bit of the goals set by the Mozilla Foundation a few years ago.
        Strategy plans are not about technical goals because non-profit open source foundations do not control the tech. This is true across the board including for GNOME, Mozilla, Apache, KDE, Eclipse and Linux foundation. It is high time people commenting on these matters learn this basic fact first.

Comment

When KDE set goals every few years, they're actually relevant to the project. When GNOME set goals, it's about Creators, Diversity, Economic Value. Corporate and soulless, just like Mozilla. I also love how they spell out what everyone's known about GNOME forever - that there are insiders ("inward community") and outsiders. They're not even hiding it anymore LOL
          Last edited by mxan; 23 May 2024, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
            When KDE set goals every few years, they're actually relevant to the project.
            KDE project or KDE eV?

Originally posted by mxan View Post
            When GNOME set goals, it's about Creators, Diversity, Economic Value. Corporate and soulless, just like Mozilla.
            The joke is on you. This is about GNOME foundation, not GNOME.
            Last edited by oleid; 23 May 2024, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

KDE project or KDE eV?
              KDE project, meaning actual KDE developers and actual KDE community members. Every two years new goals are proposed and then the community votes on them; they are then announced at Akademy, KDE's main conference. https://community.kde.org/Goals/Goals_Process

Last edited by mxan; 23 May 2024, 02:34 PM.

Comment

This is very vague corporate speak. I see very little concrete details. What kind of software do they want to focus on? How do they see the future of the GNOME desktop as an ecosystem? What are the plans for the applications, for the shell, the library stack?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                  non detailed politburo 5 year plan. what could possible go wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                  Politburo plan was super detailed. ;-)

Comment

Relate to bigger “outward” world by making GNOME directly relevant and attractive to many more diverse people
                    What do they mean here? What about less diverse people?

- Claim and Document Our Impact and Value
                    - Double the annual expense and revenue budget of the GNOME Foundation
                    - Prioritize the health and well-being of the foundation itself​
                    Or just delete yourself, it will help everyone. Mozilla should do the same. Devs should hire one marketing guy to handle fundraising.

Comment

Working...
                    X