No announcement yet.

GNOME Publishes Draft Of Five-Year Strategic Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me guess: the plan doesn’t cover fixing window decorations, fixing drag and drop, making shitty extensions less required by adding essential features or anything that would actually improve the experience? How would they „attract more people” to their platform, by removing even more features?

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post

When they say expanding the community, they don't mean getting more users... they mean getting on more companies. GNOME's community is not the average Joe and Jane - it's the likes of Red Hat, Collabora, Igalia, and Purism. Everyone else are just expendable outsiders who don't matter to the project, and the in-group of contributors have no trouble making it clear when they've decided you're not part of them.
      all this talk about community and gnome expanding but lets be REAL here whats the actual change NONE its all talk no action like saying AMD is stepping up their game PLS all ive seen is a sloth race nothing impressive get to the point or dont bother and these companies acting like they care psh in-group cliques and all that not fooling anyone they got their favs and if ur not in that circle GOOD LUCK being heard its a joke at this point

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post
        Strategy plans are not about technical goals because non-profit open source foundations do not control the tech. This is true across the board including for GNOME, Mozilla, Apache, KDE, Eclipse and Linux foundation. It is high time people commenting on these matters learn this basic fact first.
        So they're mostly useless crap. I see The Document Foundation a lot better than most non-profits, for example. They pay many devs.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
          There's also this in the strategic plan. Another thing GNOME aren't hiding anymore... that they see Freedesktop as part of themselves, no wonder Freedesktop also shut out contributions from outsiders they don't like LOL. Arrogant as hell.

"Emphasize that Linux desktops depend on GNOME technology, free desktop stack, a full desktop stack."

lol yeah right nvidia just keeps milking folks with those overpriced cards and they think were all fools dont know any better well news flash ppl arent stupid they see through the bs and AMD aint no saint either acting like they care with all that vram but in the end its all talk no game no real support just a bunch of hot air and what for to keep the prices sky high like we made of money or something but whatever i aint falling for that i keep my eye on the real deal no shiny distractions gonna fool me

Comment

Double the annual expense and revenue budget of the GNOME Foundation
            Doubling their expenses. How ambitious!

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Being C based is actually one of the strengths of GTK, because being C based means you can easily create bindings for it in many languages.
              You can create bindings in many other languages too and the client doesn't has to notice if they follow C calling conventions. It is easy in Rust for example.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Hope that includes people who want to use themes.

Contrary to the popular belief that theming is an "unproductive waste of time", they actually have a practical use case. Not long ago I stumbled upon a Mastodon tweet of someone who has ASD and some sensory issues. They maintain their own red tinted GTK theme for years (despite Gnome making it more and more difficult), because otherwise using the computer becomes intolerable for them.
                It's been obvious for a while now that these DEI people do not consider disability as part of diversity, no wonder it gets ignored (see dropping Xorg). Even wikipedia mentions it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity,_equity,_and_inclusion#Disability_commun ity

It's a shame because accessibility features are features that make a difference to far more than those with accessibility needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

It's been obvious for a while now that these DEI people do not consider disability as part of diversity, no wonder it gets ignored (see dropping Xorg). Even wikipedia mentions it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity,_equity,_and_inclusion#Disability_commun ity

It's a shame because accessibility features are features that make a difference to far more than those with accessibility needs.
                  I agree. Fascism against disabilities is rising. I don't support GNOME because of that, plus tons of technical reasons.

Comment

Why do I even read the Phoronix forums?

Every GNOME/Wayland/SystemD news are plagued with people that don't add up a solution or discuss anything with education like adults.

It's just the same discussion over and over.

Do whatever you want, use the DE you want, use the distro you want, use the damn OS you want.

Stop being that damn childish.

Comment

In the GNOME gulag, shamanic chants meet Stalinist slogans.

A UI as cold as the Party's heart, inclusivity as genuine as a Politburo smile, and accessibility a ghost, lost in the Siberian code-scape.

Holly Million, techno-shaman, divines with a Red Square's clarity, guiding us through a digital tundra of vanishing features and convoluted paths.

Here's to the five-year plan of obsolescence, where the budget evaporates like spirits over a shaman's fire, and user-friendliness is the great purge of our time.​​
                      Last edited by timofonic; 23 May 2024, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X