Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zed Code Editor Now Open-Source

Phoronix: Zed Code Editor Now Open-Source

The Zed code editor being led by the creators of the Atom editor and Tree-sitter syntax parsing framework have announced today that the Zed editor is being open-sourced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Only MacOS for now, but it seems promising. Curiously, the dev team didn't add Lapce editor (https://lapce.dev/) to the performance comparison. Let's wait for the Linux version and, then, do a proper comparison.

Comment

I don't expect it to be any linux compatible any time soon.
      Unless its using OpenGL.
      And if its not GPU accelerated, its just another text editor

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        I don't expect it to be any linux compatible any time soon.
        Unless its using OpenGL.
        And if its not GPU accelerated, its just another text editor
        it is gpu accelerated, they've actually put a lot of effort into that aspect. In fact it kinda makes me think that servo had a lost opportunity by trying to build a full fledged webrender when there's still a lot to be done (in rust) on the components, gpu, css, etc.

I'm sure the linux port will happen soon enough, and i'm kinda excited to see the collab stuff. using the live share in vscode, there's a ton of room for improvement. but these days, I wouldn't switch editors if it didn't have good ai integration. hopefully they create some compatibility layer so all the vscode extensions can be used.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

it is gpu accelerated, they've actually put a lot of effort into that aspect.
          Right, and what API they use there on Mac?
          OpenGL? i think its being discontinued.
          Vulkan is not an option as it is not native to Mac.

Comment

Right, and what API they use there on Mac?
            OpenGL? i think its being discontinued.
            Vulkan is not an option as it is not native to Mac.
            Both remains options. You just need to use something like MoltenVK

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Both remains options. You just need to use something like MoltenVK
              Hence, not any time soon.
              Since you need to implement MoltenVK AND code for Vulkan.
              And I doubt they will implement MoltenVK on Mac because they have already native implementation of Graphical API.
              May be they will, since Vulkan also works on Doze...

Comment

Hence, not any time soon.
                Since you need to implement MoltenVK AND code for Vulkan.
                And I doubt they will implement MoltenVK on Mac because they have already native implementation of Graphical API.
                May be they will, since Vulkan also works on Doze...
                If they use Zink, it's not a big lift. They don't have to rewrite anything.

Comment

Just what we need more of on Linux, more Text/code Editors 😂

But quite seriously we do have a number of really good native text editors so i am not really sure what this will do for us on Linux. Particularly as more stuff has gotten GPU accelerated in the last few years so its not like thats entirely a new thing

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

If they use Zink, it's not a big lift. They don't have to rewrite anything.
                    Assuming they use OpenGL in the first place... Which its probably mantle.

Comment

Working...
                    X