No announcement yet.

Zed Code Editor Now Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

while you wait for zed to be rewritten in 100% safe rust. you can has ved today:

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
      I think that Visual Studio Code pretty much killed any possibility of Zed editor having any chance of success
      Still absolutely no clue why anyone likes this terrible website that brings its own web browser on install. Its not even a good editor in the realm of web app editors.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

[...] but these days, I wouldn't switch editors if it didn't have good ai integration.
        Do you mind sharing how you fit AI in your workflow? Is it writing boiler plate or actual code? Tests? Asking questions about the code base? I'm assuming you mean AI like co-pilot.

Or are you talking about featuring AI more like a jupyter notebook than like code generation and I misunderstood?

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
          Maybe it is just they are both Electron-based.
          Correct. IIRC, the fellas who made atom were the ones who brought us electron, hence the naming convention (atom + electron). Atom's plug-ins and extensions also were all in coffeescript, as that was the JS dialect in vogue at the time.

The reason you might be grouping atom and vscode might also be because Atom was made by github. Of course at the time github was not Microsoft's. So VScode is made by MS, Atom by github (who is now also MS) both are electron based, both used a JS superset/dialect. Easy confusion to make.

I will say, though, MS deserves kudos (IMO) for showing how fast and light an electron app may be, as vscode is, probably, the best electron app I've used, in that regard. Still too slow and fat for me, but they really polished that turd really well.

Edit: one day I'll start getting "in", "on", and "at" correctly. Today is not that day.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbFsck View Post
            Correct. IIRC, the fellas who made atom were the ones who brought us electron, hence the naming convention (atom + electron). Atom's plug-ins and extensions also were all in coffeescript, as that was the JS dialect in vogue at the time.

The reason you might be grouping atom and vscode might also be because Atom was made by github. Of course at the time github was not Microsoft's. So VScode is made by MS, Atom by github (who is now also MS) both are electron based, both used a JS superset/dialect. Easy confusion to make.

I will say, though, MS deserves kudos (IMO) for showing how fast and light an electron app may be, as vscode is, probably, the best electron app I've used, in that regard. Still too slow and fat for me, but they really polished that turd really well.
            Yeah, I think the GitHub/Atom + Microsoft/VS Code connection is what it was. I guess I was thinking that VS Code was an "evolution" of Atom, but now I am seeing they are just two different Electron-based editors. I will agree that VS Code became pretty fast compared to what I remember about Atom. I used to use Sublime Text, and will say was pretty slick. But development got slow for a while, and I wanted something I could "just install" on whatever.

My current gripe with VS Code on Linux (running on Fedora 38 + Gnome) is that I cannot get it to really work as Wayland-native (all the old flag sdo not seem to work, or if they do then the app is messed up, a corrupted UI or just crashes at launch.) My 125% scaling does not look good when VS Code is run on top of Xwayland.

Comment

Originally posted by paulocoghi View Post
              Only MacOS for now, but it seems promising. Curiously, the dev team didn't add Lapce editor (https://lapce.dev/) to the performance comparison. Let's wait for the Linux version and, then, do a proper comparison.
              What performance comparison?

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

lapce doesn't look great oob, but it has some really nice themes availible for it that more then make up for it IMO
                Nice things on an ugly UI with almost no functionality. Notepad++ running on wine is a better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Still absolutely no clue why anyone likes this terrible website that brings its own web browser on install. Its not even a good editor in the realm of web app editors.
                  It depends what you need. I don't need a web app editor. VSCode works on Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, and (I've heard) on Mac. I like it because I can move between systems without learning new editor keys & commands, and get the same plugins. Same reason I used to use IntelliJ. But VSCode is no cost, no dependency on java, and runs faster.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbFsck View Post
                    With VS Code itself being pretty well optimized, you would think there would be knowledge sharing inside of Microsoft for Electron optimizations etc... Sadly it seems not, as Microsoft is also publishing this monstrosity known as Teams.

Comment

Naive question, but what are these really good native text editors you speak of (seriously)?
                      I've heard of various VIM variants I know not of.
                      I'm guessing there's not an emacs-lisp-to-WASM or lisp-in-OpenCL thing.
                      The gedit / joe / whatever stuff never seemed special at first glance to me.
                      Eclipse / VSCode etc. didn't seem really high tech.
                      I guess there's "runs using web technologies" stuff like IIRC Theia so that may inherit cool stuff like WASM, WebGPU, who knows.
                      What am I missing?

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
                      Just what we need more of on Linux, more Text/code Editors 😂

But quite seriously we do have a number of really good native text editors so i am not really sure what this will do for us on Linux. Particularly as more stuff has gotten GPU accelerated in the last few years so its not like thats entirely a new thing

Comment

Working...
                      X