Systemd-Homed Merged As A Fundamental Change To Linux Home Directories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    lol why do you need computers at all if you can just type something irrelevant manually every time?
    He just wants to rant I guess. Probably has systemd Derangement Syndrome (sDS).
    Last edited by xinorom; 30 January 2020, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      nice shifting goalposts there, it all started with someone saying it is not possible because "zfs is not usable on linux"
      no, there's no zfs on linux. there's some garbage people call zfs on linux, but real zfs on linux is shipped with linux (right now there's no such thing and it will certainly not take a form of solaris fs plus solaris translation layer). and it started by you saying "why not merge it" which requires zfs to at least be mergeable
      and now that someone pointed out that yes it is usable on linux the same person says it is not possible because "it is not yet written" which is a completely different thing.
      support for zfs in systemd is not written. just as support for zfs in kernel is not written. nobody cares enough to write it, probably because everyone knows that zfs design was obsolete before btrfs was started, and clowns who don't know it can't write anything worthwhile anyway. you see, people care about windows fses more than about zfs, they write support for windows fses on linux and they don't write support for zfs on linux.
      Last edited by pal666; 30 January 2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

ZFS is completely off-topic in this thread. Can you all stop sperging out about it...?
        Last edited by xinorom; 30 January 2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks I hate it

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            Good thing system-D home-D is finally taking charge.

Typing "tar -zcvf home.tar.gz /home/user" and "tar -zxvf home.tar.gz" is far too difficult.

Who could ever manage something so difficult without a 21,000 line chunk of code to do it for you?
            I like the sarcasm
            the *-D project..

Comment

Originally posted by xinorom View Post
              Are people STILL suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome in 2020...?
              Trump?

Who is Tramp?

Comment

Oh that's easy.
                No one share computers these days anymore, I don't see any practical use for average end user. But this is the strategy behind systemd since the beginning, everything is for the desktop users while ends up to be a sophisticated tool for admins...

Comment

Yesterday I discovered /etc/nsswitch.conf for the first time, on a GNU-Linux system I was using. Docs are here for anyone else who is new to it: https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/ma...ce-Switch.html

Today this news article about Systemd-homed is posted on Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

No one share computers these days anymore, I don't see any practical use for average end user. But this is the strategy behind systemd since the beginning, everything is for the desktop users while ends up to be a sophisticated tool for admins...
                    Have you been to any university in the last half century? Having a dedicated computer for everyone beyond their personal laptops would be ridiculous. Do you have any idea what it would take to make all of the custom software run on all of those personal laptops, including all of the oddball hardware it's going to talk to?

Shared computers are a thing and should stay a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      if you can give him usb drive with password, you can just as well give him password
                      Yeah, that's a possibility. If you don't mind the mild annoyance, GRUB on LUKS and then keys from there. That way, even if they cloned the drive they'd still have to crack your LUKS encryption before they could access the keys.

Comment

Working...
                      X