Systemd-Homed Merged As A Fundamental Change To Linux Home Directories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    As long as you leave DKMS infrastructure enabled it compiles and works fine just like the shim for NVIDIA blob, the shim for Broadcomm wifi blob and Realtek crap wifi "opensource" code drop drivers that are too shitty to land even in Staging.

How do you think people on Linux are using it? Custom kernels? What is this, 1999?
    This falls apart the moment you get a kernel update the DKMS module is incompatible with and the DKMS module has not been updated. Congratulations on your next reboot resorting in an error.

This is why relying on out-of-tree modules to boot the system is a bad idea.

Comment

The real question for me, is there a way to exclude directories? I have a ton of stuff I keep in ~/src and really don't care about seeing my .git, node_modules or other directories stored in a shared network location (or the time to sync them)

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

It's not that, it's that changing the rootfs encryption password isn't something that's easily accessible without popping into the terminal and it's not easy to disable and enable encryption on-demand.

rootfs encryption is also a bit of a pain in shared environments. If you want to let someone use your computer, they'll have to ask you to unlock each time you turn it on.
        You can add up to 10 unique passwords easily. For our shared laptop, we each have our own accounts, and our own passwords to decrypt the drive. Instructions easily found on Google.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeroedout View Post

You can add up to 10 unique passwords easily. For our shared laptop, we each have our own accounts, and our own passwords to decrypt the drive. Instructions easily found on Google.
          That doesn't work if you don't want other peoples files to be decrypted or you want the passwords to be updated automatically when people change their passwords (you can do it via scripts, but it's not pretty).

Comment

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post
            Can you use sysemd-homed without using systemd?
            You should have no problem using the user handling without systemd, though the encrypted homedir container part most definitely requires the more advanced hooking and events that systemd provides.
            Though of course, the entire thing is an open spec, so you can definitely write your own 100% systemd free implementation of it if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
              All that, and you still miss the entire point. Typical. You're like a Trump supporter, just worse.
              All I can tell is that you have a bias against out of tree modules like how a Trump supporter has a bias against out of country people.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

IIRC it completely broke on 5.5 because the floating point symbols got re-exported as GPL.
                It worked on my system for 5.5-rc-something-or-other a week or two ago.

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like I'll have to look into reverting that.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

At least a trump supporter can quote!

and waste his vote...

Comment

All your home are belong to Cystimdee!

What a waste of time. Really for those that click and play.

Comment

Welcome homed sanitarium.

Comment

Working...
                      X