Systemd-Homed Merged As A Fundamental Change To Linux Home Directories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abott View Post
    All that, and you still miss the entire point. Typical. You're like a Trump supporter, just worse.
    There is no point to miss, we have entire GUIs like GNOME and KDE supporting fucking blob drivers (NVIDIA) on Wayland, why can't something else can't support whatever.

The only legal issue is for shipping Linux and ZFS code together, supporting ZFS in a userspace application has no bearing on anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      This falls apart the moment you get a kernel update the DKMS module is incompatible with and the DKMS module has not been updated.
      You just reboot with the older kernel and wait for the module to be updated, and/or use a distro that isn't shipping RC kernels as soon as Torvalds announces them.

But for decent projects with dkms modules they update them fast enough for this to never be an issue. For example I'm using VMWare Workstation on Tumbleweed, and I only need to update the dkms module sources for their stuff from a github repo where a guy maintains a fixed version that compiles on latest kernels. https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules
      Thankfully this is a tiny fraction, most of the real meat is mainlined already so it's not loaded with dkms.

Also the same is true for ZFS, while I'm not using it for anything I still have it installed and I've yet to see it break in a year and a half of kernel updates and dkms recompiles.

Amusingly, it's also the same for the crappy realtek module for my wifi AC dongle, as the project taking care of it is aircrack-ng so they are big enough I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        There is no point to miss, we have entire GUIs like GNOME and KDE supporting fucking blob drivers (NVIDIA) on Wayland, why can't something else can't support whatever.

The only legal issue is for shipping Linux and ZFS code together, supporting ZFS in a userspace application has no bearing on anything.
        Not necessarily. A lot of us are mildly annoyed due to ZFS licensing and this particular userspace application.

Is there any support for ZFS planned? Since ZFS is getting more and more integrated in Linux, it would be nice to get some basic information / statistics from storaged. I'm asking this here, becaus...

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          Good thing system-D home-D is finally taking charge.

Typing "tar -zcvf home.tar.gz /home/user" and "tar -zxvf home.tar.gz" is far too difficult.

Who could ever manage something so difficult without a 21,000 line chunk of code to do it for you?
          The best trolls always leave some doubt as to whether they're not actually trolling and just really that retarded. I hope, for your sake, that you're trolling...
          Last edited by xinorom; 30 January 2020, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
            All that, and you still miss the entire point. Typical. You're like a Trump supporter, just worse.
            Are people STILL suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome in 2020...?

Comment

Have you actually tried GNOME Wayland on Nvidia?

It's unusable.

Comment

ZFS can be used on Linux
                zfs can be supported by systemd. i mean if you download relevant systemd patch from some garbage bin
                Last edited by pal666; 30 January 2020, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  A USB drive is something you can hand to anyone to use to boot up your system
                  if you can give him usb drive with password, you can just as well give him password

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    Typing "tar -zcvf home.tar.gz /home/user" and "tar -zxvf home.tar.gz" is far too difficult.
                    lol why do you need computers at all if you can just type something irrelevant manually every time?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      Maybe not officially with the 5.5 or 5.6 source trees, but it does work with the 3.10 to 5.4 Linux source trees
                      feel free to not officially support zfs in systemd-homed

Comment

Working...
                      X