Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd-Homed Merged As A Fundamental Change To Linux Home Directories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Systemd-Homed Merged As A Fundamental Change To Linux Home Directories

    Phoronix: Systemd-Homed Merged As A Fundamental Change To Linux Home Directories

    Systemd-homed has been merged as the latest (optional) fundamental change to Linux distributions in how home directories are handled...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...d-Homed-Merged

  • #2
    my body is ready

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm actually really looking forward to this, the on-demand home-directory encryption sounds super promising, and it even goes better by trimming the free space from the home directory image so it's effectively thin-provisioned. Roaming profiles should also be easier.

      I do think it should of just been called "homed" rather than "systemd-homed" though.
      Last edited by Britoid; 01-30-2020, 09:34 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        I'm actually really looking forward to this, the on-demand home-directory encryption sounds super promising, and it even goes better by trimming the free space from the home directory image so it's effectively thin-provisioned. Roaming profiles should also be easier.

        --SNIP--
        Agreed. I imagine for most users, this will be a transparent change. The advantages will bring some really great features to distros.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ndegruchy View Post
          Agreed. I imagine for most users, this will be a transparent change. The advantages will bring some really great features to distros.
          For sure, I've always thought encryption is too much hassle under Linux for non-technical users, which isn't right because non-technical users need that privacy too, this could go some way of solving that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Britoid View Post

            For sure, I've always thought encryption is too much hassle under Linux for non-technical users, which isn't right because non-technical users need that privacy too, this could go some way of solving that.
            Definitely. I imagine uninformed people looking at a man page and going Serpents and AES and Blowfish, oh my.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

              Definitely. I imagine uninformed people looking at a man page and going Serpents and AES and Blowfish, oh my.
              It's not that, it's that changing the rootfs encryption password isn't something that's easily accessible without popping into the terminal and it's not easy to disable and enable encryption on-demand.

              rootfs encryption is also a bit of a pain in shared environments. If you want to let someone use your computer, they'll have to ask you to unlock each time you turn it on.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Britoid View Post

                It's not that, it's that changing the rootfs encryption password isn't something that's easily accessible without popping into the terminal and it's not easy to disable and enable encryption on-demand.

                rootfs encryption is also a bit of a pain in shared environments. If you want to let someone use your computer, they'll have to ask you to unlock each time you turn it on.
                Unless you adopt a strategy of using USB drives with keyfiles on them to unlock encrypted volumes.

                Does anyone know if this will be able to leverage ZFS encryption?

                Comment


                • #9
                  A design document should start with a description of the problem being solved.
                  This is just as useful as most of the other stuff from them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great stuff. Useful for desktop user as well.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X