Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    more and more popular? that must be why freebsd people hate it
    It's rather vice versa, easily proven by fact that with every linux vs bsd benchmark, YOU and bunch of haters drown the relevant forum thread under "bsd must die" hate posts.
    Don't transfer your own feelings to "other crowd" 1:1 simply because you think "they have to feel the same but in reverse".

Comment

• Imagine an integration with syncthing and we get peer-to-peer synced user accounts and home folders. Sounds pretty powerful to me even outside corporate environments.

Yes, I know, don't give Pottering ideas..

Comment

• Originally posted by xinorom View Post

When the name is based on decades old tradition, it kind of is, yes.
        As an American Southerner, don't get me started on why traditions aren't the greatest reason to keep on keepin' on.

Comment

• Originally posted by xinorom View Post

I believe it's "M-x mount-home-dir C-m C-x C-h C-d M-p h" in Emacs.
          Is there a vim plugin that can do that?

(... camel case style... so that I'm forewarned prior to something happening.)

Comment

• Originally posted by aht0 View Post
            It's rather vice versa, easily proven by fact that with every linux vs bsd benchmark, YOU and bunch of haters drown the relevant forum thread under "bsd must die" hate posts.
            by "it" i meant systemd. freebsd people hate systemd, because it makes linux more and more popular

Comment

• Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Is carrying the case sensitivity from the binaries to the projects' names really necessary?
              imagine you've given name to something/one and people are changing it as they see fit

Comment

• Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                No one share computers these days anymore
                how did you measure that?
                Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                , I don't see any practical use for average end user.
                are you forbidding software development for non-average users?
                Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                But this is the strategy behind systemd since the beginning, everything is for the desktop users while ends up to be a sophisticated tool for admins...
                isn't it how world supposed to work?

Comment

imagine you've given name to something/one and people are changing it as they see fit
                  You're seeing human nature in action. Did you know that "Dr. Jekyll" is supposed to be pronounced "Jee-kəl", not "Jeh-kəl"? ...or that "LaTeX"and "LyX" are supposed to be pronounced "Laytek" and "Lick" because that "X" is supposed to be the Greek letter Chi? As a species, we push for simplicity and consistency in communication by factoring out exceptions and spurious complexity.

Same reason we're seeing the masculine "fiance" die off in favour of the feminine "fiancee" becoming gender-neutral (a recurring pattern with words we borrowed from French) and seeing the object "whom" dying off in favour of the subject "who" serving both roles and being disambiguated by context. (Just like "you" took over "ye"'s role and became both the subject and object form of the pronoun.)

People capitalize it as "SystemD" because "it's a proper noun, so it should start with a capital" (I'm looking at you, deviantArt) and "The D is pronounced dee, rather than a terminal də on the word 'system' as in 'system'd', so it forms a separate 'word', so use camelcase to denote the word boundary."

If Robert Louis Stevenson and Donald Knuth didn't have much luck resisting the tide of human linguistic behaviour, why should Lennart think he can?
                  Last edited by ssokolow; 02 February 2020, 01:04 AM.

Comment

how did you measure that?

By every key measurement, college students lead the way in tech and gadget use. But community college students do not use digital tools as much as four-year college students and graduate students.

Families with at least one Savvy Tech Linux Individual have more of one computer, one of these can be a very old computer or a modern SoC, most likely both.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    are you forbidding software development for non-average users?
                    Absolutely not I think that is a pretty cool feature, not strictly necessary for a Desktop use, hence I would like to have it as option rather than a default setup.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    isn't it how world supposed to work?
                    I think is the opposite...

Comment

by "it" i meant systemd. freebsd people hate systemd, because it makes linux more and more popular
                      No, we are indifferent or hate it for the attempts of "vendor-lock". "Linux's popularity" is completely irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                      X