Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AFS For Linux 5.1 Would Have Pleased Firefox/SQLite But Was Rejected As Untested Crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eltomito View Post
    HA HA HA! That was awesome. Beautifully written. Thanks for the laugh.

Comment

From our friends at Wikipedia:

Origin of the word "crap"

It has often been claimed in popular culture that the slang term for human bodily waste, crap, originated with Thomas Crapper because of his association with lavatories. A common version of this story is that American servicemen stationed in England during World War I saw his name on cisterns and used it as army slang, i.e. "I'm going to the crapper".[12]

The word crap is actually of Middle English origin and predates its application to bodily waste. Its most likely etymological origin is a combination of two older words, the Dutch krappen: to pluck off, cut off, or separate; and the Old French crappe: siftings, waste or rejected matter (from the medieval Latin crappa, chaff).[12] In English, it was used to refer to chaff, and also to weeds or other rubbish. Its first application to bodily waste, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, appeared in 1846 under a reference to a crapping ken, or a privy, where ken means a house.[12]

Comment

One has to wonder what this message looked like before hitting Linus' sanitizing e-mail filter...

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
          I dont know about America but crap is a swear word in Aus. That being said the tone is noticibly lighter than before
          Aussie, where overt racism is all good, and calling everyone c**t is fine, but crap is a swear word.

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
            Aussie, where overt racism is all good, and calling everyone c**t is fine, but crap is a swear word.
            to you and the other guy: Cu*t is still a swear word but some cultural groups (read Bogans) use it as a familial term. Still had an old lady gasp when she heard a friend of mine use ir though :P

As to the racism, i cant deny that one but I would say most of us are less racist than Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

to you and the other guy: Cu*t is still a swear word but some cultural groups (read Bogans) use it as a familial term. Still had an old lady gasp when she heard a friend of mine use ir though :P
              It’s the same here in NZ.

Comment

"uninitialized variable" is a swear word in the old school C community. I found Linus very very moderate this time.
                if a guy submit something like this in a private job context he probably just get immediately fired.

Comment

Poor Linus. He has probably to mess around more with criminal groups, than with sincere coders.

Comment

Well I don't know the part of the code Linus rejected, but an "uninitialized" warning doesn't always mean the code is buggy:

Code:
                    int find_min(unsigned a[ELEMS])
                    {
                        unsigned i_min, min = UINT_MAX;

for (int i = 0; i < ELEMS; i++)
                            if (a[i] <= min) {
                                min = a[i];
                                i_min = i;
                            }

return i_min;
                    }
                    It may be bad practice to use i_min uninitialized, but this function is working perfectly.
                    Last edited by George99; 18 March 2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
                      Well I don't know the part of the code Linus rejected, but an "uninitialized" warning doesn't always mean the code is buggy:

Code:
                      int find_min(unsigned a[ELEMS])
                      {

for (int i = 0; i < ELEMS; i++)
                      if (a[i] <= min) {
                      min = a[i];
                      i_min = i;
                      }

return i_min;
                      }
                      It may be bad practice to use i_min uninitialized, but this function is working perfectly.

I think it's bad practise to write:

I know only min is initialized, but at a glance, it's easy to imagine that a developer could assume that both i_min and min are initialized to the value UINT_MAX.

I think it's better to write:

Code:
                      unsigned i_min;
                      unsigned min = UINT_MAX;
                      It's very clear to everyone at a quick glance that i_min isn't initialized and thus it almost serves as a warning to the developer that they must make sure that the code below those statements must always result in i_min becoming initialized.

Comment

Working...
                      X