Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AFS For Linux 5.1 Would Have Pleased Firefox/SQLite But Was Rejected As Untested Crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFS For Linux 5.1 Would Have Pleased Firefox/SQLite But Was Rejected As Untested Crap

Phoronix: AFS For Linux 5.1 Would Have Pleased Firefox/SQLite But Was Rejected As Untested Crap

The Andrew File-System (AFS) continues to evolve as a distributed file-system. Over the past year and a half there's been a lot of activity to AFS in the mainline Linux kernel, including material slated for the in-development Linux 5.1 kernel but then Linus Torvalds ended up having to un-pull the changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I dont know about America but crap is a swear word in Aus. That being said the tone is noticibly lighter than before

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
      I dont know about America but crap is a swear word in Aus. That being said the tone is noticibly lighter than before
      Swear word or not, I don't see how it could offend anyone, unlike some of his comments in the past.

Comment

It's easy to say he is a bit mean, but trying to mainline untested code is just disrespectful...

Comment

I also would view "crap" as a milder swear word, though you can't deny that submitting untested code is simply bad.

Comment

The difference is probably less in the choice of words but in what they are used on. The message does not contain any personal attack at all. He is talking solely about the code, not about those who wrote the code. This is how it should be.

A logical next step would be to just not even call the code "crap". It doesn't add anything. His point was already perfectly clear and would have been just as clear had he written "I'm no longer interested in totally untested new code"

Comment

At least the code without even being tested by the compiler desearves crap.

How it can be submitted to Torvals without being reviewed by other maintainers?

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
                Aus means Australia? Because I think they call everyone "cunt" over there and it's supposedly not offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by niner View Post
                  A logical next step would be to just not even call the code "crap". It doesn't add anything.
                  It adds a whole emotional level that is probably not required to you cold machines.

Please ignore it and proceed.

Comment

The Reeducation of Linus Torvalds

INT., NIGHT, DUNGEON

Linus is chained to the moist stone wall of a medieval dungeon. Enter the Therapist.

Therapist: I've pulled this into the latest kernel.

Therapist shows a notebook screen with some code to Linus.

Linus (violently yanks on his chains, screaming): What the fuck? You fuck! How can you pull this fucking crap?!

Therapist stuns Linus with a taser. Linus screams. Echoes in the dungeon.

Therapist: What did you say wrong, Linus?
                    Linus: Fuck.
                    Therapist: Yes and which "fuck" was it?
                    Linus: Well, fuck!
                    Therapist: Yes but which "fuck" was the bad one, Linus? Which one were you not supposed to say?

Linus growls a little.

Therapist: Concentrate, Linus!

Therapist tases Linus mildly.

Linus: Aaaaargh! The one... I applied to you.
                    Therapist: That's right Linus, you don't call a code contributor a fuck, not even when his code returns an uninitialized pointer, do you?
                    Linus: Fuck you, you little fuck!

Zap!
                    Aaaaargh!

Comment

Working...
                    X