Valve Rolls Out Wine-based "Proton" For Running Windows Games On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eydee View Post
    You used NTFS, weren't you. It doesn't work with default configuration at the moment. You might have success if mounting it with your own uid and gid.
    I have Steam installed on a btrfs volume. To clarify, the game console does launch but the game itself never does. I get errors that it can't create a window or 3D context or something when launching DOOM (2016) in OpenGL or the Vulkan equivalent of that error when using that API. It's like it can't utilize my 3D hardware or something. DOOM (classic) just never does anything. No window, no error dialog, no process running--nothing at all.

OpenGL (+r_renderAPI 0)

Vulkan (+r_renderAPI 1)
    Last edited by Particle; 22 August 2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Particle View Post

I have Steam installed on a btrfs volume.}[/IMG2]
      Every game I tried did not work and I'm using btrfs. The games I tried were not on the list except doom 2016 but it was the demo. Using radeon 280x radeonsi radv oibaf 18.3git.

Comment

• I'm using a Vega 64 with Mesa 18.1.6 and LLVM 6.0.1. I'm running Debian Testing so it's straight from those repos.

I have to wonder if Steam Play just hasn't been tested with AMD+Mesa yet. The errors seem to be missing feature related.

Comment

• Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          did anyone get houseflipper to work? it complains about dx11
          it works with the nvidia 396 drivers but some textures are missing.

Comment

I'm using a Vega 64 with Mesa 18.1.6 and LLVM 6.0.1. I'm running Debian Testing so it's straight from those repos.

I have to wonder if Steam Play just hasn't been tested with AMD+Mesa yet. The errors seem to be missing feature related.
            Before opt into beta program of something - you should read what are the minimum requirements.
            Hard to say what requirements are for Debian, but defenetly not lower than for Ubuntu.

Compatibility tool for Steam Play based on Wine and additional components - File not found · ValveSoftware/Proton

UBUNTU 18.04
            [...]
            LLVM7 or above is recommended to play DX11 games without GPU hangs.
            Core OpenGL games (DOOM 2016, Google Earth VR, etc):
            You will need Mesa 18.2.0 at a minimum.
            And yes - they are tested it on AMD drivers. In fact they submitted fixes to drivers - that is the reason why you need the newest drivers installed to play demanding games like Doom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danniello View Post

Before opt into beta program of something - you should read what are the minimum requirements.
              Hard to say what requirements are for Debian, but defenetly not lower than for Ubuntu.

Compatibility tool for Steam Play based on Wine and additional components - File not found · ValveSoftware/Proton

And yes - they are tested it on AMD drivers. In fact they submitted fixes to drivers - that is the reason why you need the newest drivers installed to play demanding games like Doom.

Unnecessary condescension aside, your post was helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Meanwhile, Valve gets a certain % of every sale of a game. By the time Linux's marketshare becomes significant enough, Valve could increase their cut of the sale by 5% whenever a Windows game ends up on the Proton whitelist and is bought/played in Linux. Any game that is Linux-native would decrease Valve's cut by 5% (again, if bought/played in Linux). The idea behind this is "We (Valve) put in all the dirty work to get your game available to more consumers, so we expect more compensation. If you want to see better profits, you must port the game natively". If the game is popular enough, the amount of money the devs lose to Valve would hopefully be enough of an incentive where they'll do a native port themselves.
                Did they actually claim increased price for this? If they did - I see point.

Comment

• From Jeremy White at Codeweavers:

"Yesterday, Valve announced a new feature in Steam Play that allows Windows titles to run on the Linux version of Steam using Wine.

We have been working directly with Valve for two years on this effort, and the launch yesterday was one of the most joyful days of my career, for a variety of reasons. First, the personal – my sons both grew up using Linux. My older son graduated from college, got a job, and eventually bought a Windows PC so he could play his favorite games. My younger son is still in college, and he remains a die hard Linux user. Last night, he was able to install and run the few Windows games he craved on his Linux laptop.

Second, the professional – I have long felt that computer games are the key to any successful computer operating system. Sure, you absolutely need to be able to do productive work on your computer, but your heart is not in it until you can play. Without that joy, Linux, and the variety of Linux based operating systems (e.g. SteamOS, ChromeOS) are going to struggle to claim a meaningful share of the market. Valve has been providing amazing support for gaming on Linux for many years now, and we are proud to join them in expanding the range of high quality games that are available to Linux users.

This still remains a long, hard journey, but perhaps this marks the beginning of the mythical Year Of The Linux Desktop.

I hope that Proton brings you as much joy as it has brought me. And now excuse me, I have some, er, testing, to do..."

Comment

• Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    Wait, what? How? Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion was the first game that I tried, but it crashed past the launcher. Maybe it's because I'm on an intel igpu right now? :/
                    Still rocking Trinity, so that might be the difference. On Nvidia 396.54, almost every game I've tried works, Doom 2016, Quake Champions, Bioshock Remastered, Lara Croft and Temple of Osiris. Valve/Codeweavers/Wine/DXVK/VK3D devs have done a great job!

Wine is a compatibility layer, and anyone saying otherwise is throwing sand in your face. If you want perfect emulation, run a VM, and pay the price/performance penalty. There are 3rd party compatibility kits for camera lenses, any number of electronic wiring harnesses, adapters, etc.. Perfect emulation (reverse engineered or not) for hardware/drivers/internal APIs has a much greater cost, and it isn't worth paying if you just want a playable game at 60+ FPS. Writing simpler shims or a compatibility layer works just fine and is much faster as Wine demonstrates.

Comment

Unnecessary condescension aside, your post was helpful.
                      Apologies. I wrote comment when I was little angry because today I watched some vbloger that was testing and complaining about Doom started via Proton... He said something like "there is plenty of work" on Proton. Right - there is plenty of work with Proton to be usable with other games, but in fact Doom should work very well (on supported configurations/drivers). Low fps in Doom vbloger had because of very old nVidia driver. Also setting OpenGL instead Vulkan was not good idea...

Comment

Working...
                      X