No announcement yet.

Valve Rolls Out Wine-based "Proton" For Running Windows Games On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At some point Linux might be the best way to play older no longer supported games. Getting Max Payne working on Win10 sucks, works perfectly in Wine.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      That's not quite completely true. The wine devs are picking through those patches. I think the proton devs should tell wine exactly where to shove it, and if the wine devs want those improvements then they should fork proton to get them. Proton should be made upstream to wine and not the other way around because wine has already proven for the last 20 years they don't care at all about compatibility. Of course this whole stance hinges on whether or not the proton devs will admit that it is an emulator and strive achieve compatibility or not. If compatibility is their goal then they cannot be a downstream of wine because wine will break it every single release. It -must- be upstream in order to prevent wine from breaking it.
      You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Explain to me how the fuck does Wine being a compatibility layer (with a bit of emulation here and there) mean that they don't care about compatibility.

Do you even English?

Comment

• Dang. I was excited; one of my boys bought me DOOM 2016 but I hadn't played much of it because I hardly ever boot into Windows. After a couple hours of downloading, I fired it up... and got sound, but a black screen. I could hear the menu shifting around but that's it.

Xubuntu 18.04.1, GTX 970 with Nvidia driver 396.51 (396.54 packages haven't been released yet, soon), i7-2600K. Two monitors, but the game seemed to start up fine on the primary monitor, it just didn't display any graphics. I has a sad.

Comment

• I've noticed that mouse input gets stuck periodically with Proton/Steam Play on Arch Linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Ingles View Post
            Dang. I was excited; one of my boys bought me DOOM 2016 but I hadn't played much of it because I hardly ever boot into Windows. After a couple hours of downloading, I fired it up... and got sound, but a black screen. I could hear the menu shifting around but that's it.

Xubuntu 18.04.1, GTX 970 with Nvidia driver 396.51 (396.54 packages haven't been released yet, soon), i7-2600K. Two monitors, but the game seemed to start up fine on the primary monitor, it just didn't display any graphics. I has a sad.
            In Steam, right click DOOM > Properties > Set Launch Options > +r_renderAPI 1 +com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set m_smooth 0 +com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1 +menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1

You may magically have display with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              It begins. Linux world domination. Next stop, Steam OS based console!
              While this may force the nations to finally accept the GNU World Order there's not going to be any popular Steam OS console. The math just don't work. Consider the price of the Playstation 4 Pro. It's damn cheap. Well, relatively speaking. You can have one for the price of a Nvidia 1060 GPU. How do you sell something which includes a GPU in that performance range and a case and a motherboard and a CPU and a PSU and RAM? A Steam OS console would be very niece, at best.

I've actually considered building and selling them, btw. Just don't see any possibility of offering anything anywhere near a realistic price-point even just for a niece market.

Comment

• Originally posted by mv.gavrilov View Post
                It's awful because I am afraid that due this count of native Linux games will be decreased.
                I suspect it could have the opposite effect. Linux sales of Windows games will be reported as Linux sales. If you're management in a corporation developing games and you don't care about Linux at all and you suddenly get a report saying 5% of your sales are coming from Linux users then you may suddenly be willing to pay more attention and allocate some resources to ensuring those sales increase - which may include a native Linux port (depending on cost and how big you are)

Comment

• Originally posted by xiando View Post
                  While this may force the nations to finally accept the GNU World Order there's not going to be any popular Steam OS console. The math just don't work. Consider the price of the Playstation 4 Pro. It's damn cheap. Well, relatively speaking. You can have one for the price of a Nvidia 1060 GPU. How do you sell something which includes a GPU in that performance range and a case and a motherboard and a CPU and a PSU and RAM? A Steam OS console would be very niece, at best.

I've actually considered building and selling them, btw. Just don't see any possibility of offering anything anywhere near a realistic price-point even just for a niece market.
                  You do it the same as Nintendo do. You outsource hardware completely and order about 20 milliion units.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post

s/incompetent/don't have time and resources to optimize because their hierarchy wants to reduce costs
                    A lot of times it's developers learning to use a new platform/api for the first time as well. If you've ever programmed, think back to the first app you wrote in [insert framework/language here]. If you've ever gone back and looked at that code a year later, chances are high you'll be wondering WTF you were smoking to make all those silly mistakes the first time around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lanz View Post
                      I've noticed that mouse input gets stuck periodically with Proton/Steam Play on Arch Linux.
                      I am noticing this on Ubuntu 18.04 as well. Mesa 18.3 via Padoka PPA, kernel 4.18.0, Vega 56, Unity desktop. I figure someone higher up will have noticed this already and a fix would be planned. I'm going to try a different desktop environment on the weekend (Gnome Shell and XFCE), see if it's DE related.

Comment

Working...
                      X