X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did anyone get houseflipper to work? it complains about dx11

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      You should probably forward that one to Steam proton team so they can fix it, save loads of people trouble down the line.
      Yea, I'm currently trying to figure out where to report it. Probably here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

Comment

Originally posted by Grim85 View Post
        With the compatibility layer there and they don't have to do anything, they may add that as part of their testing.

It's still not ideal, they should be opting for native ports
        No, it's fine the way it is, native ports are a fucking pain in the ass for devs, don't want them to think Linux ports are so detrimental to their sanity.

If they support Wine or this config (I mean literally give customer support for it and don't break on it randomly), then it's perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
          If only my nvidia driver does not crash, still can't make the switch to linux with just nouveau.
          stop using nouveau crap then.

Comment

BTW. yuck python2.7

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              Proton/DXVK will at the very least help developers translate their games to Vulkan natively. If the game does it in-engine itself then its certainly going to be faster than DXVK doing it for them!
              No it's not, especially with in-house engines, most developers are incompetent that's why most games run so poor (even on Windows).

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                Is Proton different than installing Wine on your system?

The last time I tried Wine it integrated all the Windows programs to my system and I didn't like that. For example, after I installed Wine, when I double clicked a text file through the file manager it would open Notepad. Not a huge problem but I'd like the Windows stuff to be isolated somehow and use them only when I want.
                Add this to your ~/.profile script:
                Code:
                export WINEDLLOVERRIDES=winemenubuilder.exe=d
                But of course you'll still have to remove the stuff that was already "integrated".

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  most developers are incompetent that's why most games run so poor (even on Windows).
                  s/incompetent/don't have time and resources to optimize because their hierarchy wants to reduce costs

Comment

Originally posted by audir8 View Post
                    165/233 games on Steam are Linux games for me. Getting the Steam beta, it's 166/233 (Doom), and enabling the option to play all games through Steam Play, it shows all 233 games are playable on Linux. I'm sure better statistics will help them port "important" games, and I can't wait to play Quake Champions. Bye-bye wine prefixes, it's been good while it lasted. Just launched Sins of a solar empire, and it works great.

I don't think Linux ports of games are affected much, other than Linux market share going up, and with it coming better ports.
                    Wait, what? How? Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion was the first game that I tried, but it crashed past the launcher. Maybe it's because I'm on an intel igpu right now? :/

Comment

• This is fantastic news! Now Valve just needs to admit that proton is in fact an emulator and that the whole entire point of it is to achieve compatibility with Windows. Once that logical milestone is reached, then Valve should tell the Wine leaders to go fuck themselves while they make proton the official upstream codebase. As long as proton considers wine as upstream to it it will be limited by the fact that wine devs refuse to admit that it is an emulator and cannot possibly ever achieve good compatibility. This is a good step, finally a competent company forks wine! But they still need to make proton officially the upstream and they need to admit pubicly that it is an emulator and then they can proceed to strive for compatibility. Wines only concern is to implement the external interfaces windows exposes and they give a fuck about how they behave or whether their implementation could ever achieve compatibility. As long as they can write a unit test that checks for it's existence that's good enough for them even though an interface that doesn't behave right is pretty much worthless, they don't care as long as it exists and a unit test can show it. Proton desperately needs to be made upstream to wine, but only if Valve will admit that it is an emulator and will proceed to strive for compatibility.

Comment

Working...
                      X