No announcement yet.

X.Org Drivers Updated For Old Trident & S3 Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first laptop was a Toshiba Satellite 1400 with an Intel Celeron 1.2gz CPU. It also had a Trident gfx card. This brings back a lot of memories. I used to run Linux on it back in 2002 my final year of high school.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
      That doesn't mean what you seem to think it does.
      You're probably right, but given the context, I don't give a fsck. Birdies sh!t on my car most of the year. I'm returning the favor.
      Last edited by DanL; 14 February 2023, 08:02 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

I cannot say enough about Lenovo build quality... I have an ancient W510 that started life as a CAD machine for a construction company... it got accidentally ridden down a set of stairs by a project manager... replaced the screen for 40$ off ebay and its still going today! Up until a year ago it was sitting in my garage running dual CNC table top routers!

It has not had anything close to an easy life and the battery is totally toast on it, but it still powers on and boots up Ubuntu just fine today!

As a result my whole company is standardized on Lenovo and for anyone in construction, if you dont by a "tough book" class machine... get a higher end Lenovo... they are almost the same thing!
        That (the W510) wasn't that long after the Think brand sold from IBM to Lenovo, however. IBM's PCs were expensive, but built like tanks. They had to be. Secretaries, salespeople, doctors, nurses, executives, etc. are ridiculously hard on equipment. Since then, Thinkpads (and ThinkServers) have joined the rest of the Lenovo line in the PC race for the bottom. Proprietary parts, difficult to replace parts, soldered rather than modular, awful management software, crapware stubbed in the UEFI area.. The Think* line ended up in a slow decline after Lenovo bought them. I won't buy them, and never recommend them to anyone, even for their business line.

I'm sorry for your company's IT department having to deal with them.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

That (the W510) wasn't that long after the Think brand sold from IBM to Lenovo, however. IBM's PCs were expensive, but built like tanks. They had to be. Secretaries, salespeople, doctors, nurses, executives, etc. are ridiculously hard on equipment. Since then, Thinkpads (and ThinkServers) have joined the rest of the Lenovo line in the PC race for the bottom. Proprietary parts, difficult to replace parts, soldered rather than modular, awful management software, crapware stubbed in the UEFI area.. The Think* line ended up in a slow decline after Lenovo bought them. I won't buy them, and never recommend them to anyone, even for their business line.

I'm sorry for your company's IT department having to deal with them.
          LOL I am my companies IT. To be honest I don't disagree with you at the low end. My experience has been Lenovo, Dell and HP predominantly. The latter two have horribly imploded at all price points and will never recommend them. The mid to higher end Lenovos still stand up. So far the experience at the low end has also been positive, but it is assumed they are disposable computing devices there...

Everyone has gone the disposable rout sadly!

Always open to alternative suggestions though!

Comment

Working...
          X