X.Org Drivers Updated For Old Trident & S3 Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Through this, my T23 ThinkPad has had a longer lifespan than pretty much any other laptop I have known. It was also built to be very rugged so it is also in great physical condition too.

Unfortunately if every laptop was built and managed like the T23, I think the hardware guys would be out of business.
    I cannot say enough about Lenovo build quality... I have an ancient W510 that started life as a CAD machine for a construction company... it got accidentally ridden down a set of stairs by a project manager... replaced the screen for 40$ off ebay and its still going today! Up until a year ago it was sitting in my garage running dual CNC table top routers!

It has not had anything close to an easy life and the battery is totally toast on it, but it still powers on and boots up Ubuntu just fine today!

As a result my whole company is standardized on Lenovo and for anyone in construction, if you dont by a "tough book" class machine... get a higher end Lenovo... they are almost the same thing!

Comment

Lycanthropist, torsionbar28
      I'm all in for retro, an I'm really curious: what's the reason keeping an old PC around when there is DOSbox, ScummVM and similar software to run old software? Is there still that much unsupported?
      I don't miss the days where you had to configure your soundcard and had to know the IRQ before getting any sound out of a game...

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
        Lycanthropist, torsionbar28
        I'm all in for retro, an I'm really curious: what's the reason keeping an old PC around when there is DOSbox, ScummVM and similar software to run old software? Is there still that much unsupported?
        I don't miss the days where you had to configure your soundcard and had to know the IRQ before getting any sound out of a game...
        Same reason why people like to keep classic cars or antique furniture - it's not about functionality, and with some of these things being so old, it's not about nostalgia either. I guess for some it's just kinda fun to have an experience from another time period. For others, it's the historical value.

I personally would rather do a VM because I have no interest in old clutter - I don't miss the days where defragging yielded performance improvements and where a screensaver was actually necessary to prevent burn-in. But I totally get the novelty behind having the full user experience.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          But isn't it dead, Jim? Cue X11/Xorg haters and "Why are they wasting time with this crap?"
          This is one of your sadder posts, birdie (ban evader) lol

You KNOW that the drivers in question are for 30 year old hardware lol

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
            This is one of your sadder posts, birdie (ban evader) lol
            You KNOW that the drivers in question are for 30 year old hardware lol
            we maybe should vote for birdie's account to be reenabled because people are better of knowing birdies real namd and account... no one benefits from the point that he now writes with different account. but to be honest i am and no other person knows why birdie is so angry agaist the opensource and linux ecosystem... he is the voice of the deep state in the tech industry..

at least we can ask birdie if we want to know how the evil side thinks and acts.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              But isn't it dead, Jim? Cue X11/Xorg haters and "Why are they wasting time with this crap?"
              Man, I got a huge pile of shit from John Carmack (at least it seemed like it at the time, probably wasn't) in like... 1999 for wasting my time working on drivers for the Virge chips, because they didn't support multitexturing. Was in college and it's not like I could afford top line hardware. Still a little salty about that.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                Xserver isn't dead, but it's mostly in maintenance mode, and I say that as someone still using it. If you're pointing to this update as evidence to the contrary, then you are living up to your name - Avis, "We try harder... to troll."
                That doesn't mean what you seem to think it does.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Same reason why people like to keep classic cars or antique furniture - it's not about functionality, and with some of these things being so old, it's not about nostalgia either. I guess for some it's just kinda fun to have an experience from another time period. For others, it's the historical value.
                  It's probably also fun to work on something that you can know well as a whole. Modern systems tend to get so big and complex that people probably often find themselves tinkering with just some subsystems.

Comment

I'm happy to see all sorts of backwards compatibility. This is a big strength of FOSS, you can usually also use it on older machines. Saves a lot of electronic waste.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
                      It's probably also fun to work on something that you can know well as a whole. Modern systems tend to get so big and complex that people probably often find themselves tinkering with just some subsystems.
                      Yeah I agree with that. Modern systems are generally less error prone (or better at handling errors) but when things go wrong, you're often Googling answers for an hour or you're SOL.

Comment

Working...
                      X