Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Drivers Updated For Old Trident & S3 Graphics

Phoronix: X.Org Drivers Updated For Old Trident & S3 Graphics

New releases of the xf86-video-trident and xf86-video-s3virge X.Org drivers are now available for those still rocking out to old Trident and S3 graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But isn't it dead, Jim? Cue X11/Xorg haters and "Why are they wasting time with this crap?"

Comment

Wow, dedication

Comment

I have an S3 Virge DX in my Reto PC. It is one of the most compatible graphics cards when it comes to DOS games. But I wouldn't run a modern GNU/Linux on it.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          But isn't it dead, Jim? Cue X11/Xorg haters and "Why are they wasting time with this crap?"
          Xserver isn't dead, but it's mostly in maintenance mode, and I say that as someone still using it. If you're pointing to this update as evidence to the contrary, then you are living up to your name - Avis, "We try harder... to troll."

Comment

I'm rocking a s3 trio 64, however it's a windows 9x machine.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              You know, a bug fix release for 90s GPUs driver that's been broken since xserver 1.20 (2018) by a lone Solaris developer isn't exactly what you'd call alive either. Of course he's not wasting his time and his contribution is valuable for anyone keeping a museum piece.

This is unlike your usual takes that are somewhat understandable, birdie. I suppose you didn't think it through.

Comment

Through this, my T23 ThinkPad has had a longer lifespan than pretty much any other laptop I have known. It was also built to be very rugged so it is also in great physical condition too.

Unfortunately if every laptop was built and managed like the T23, I think the hardware guys would be out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
                  I have an S3 Virge DX in my Reto PC. It is one of the most compatible graphics cards when it comes to DOS games. But I wouldn't run a modern GNU/Linux on it.
                  Came here to post the same! It's like the one card to rule them all, for retro DOS games.

Comment

Ahh I remember playing Age of Empires 1 and Populous 3 on my first PC, which had a Pentium 100, onboard S3 Virge graphics with 2MB of VRAM and Windows 98. Good times, simpler times.

Comment

Working...
                    X