No announcement yet.

X.Org Server Git Lands Support For Hardware-Accelerated XWayland With NVIDIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking 2022 at the very earliest. Wouldn't be surprised if we're still very mixed in 2023 though. And.... I'm not ruling out a 3rd player by that time.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
      I'm thinking 2022 at the very earliest.
      For this to find its way into distros? I don't see why this wouldn't be pushed either as a mid-cycle release for XWayland or back ported into 21.1 by distros. In terms of the amount of code changed, it really isn't much but what it provides is significant both for Nvidia, users and the adoption of Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        The other downside is that it may still be some time before you see this NVIDIA XWayland support in released Linux distributions. There still is no sign of the X.Org Server 1.21 release materializing.
        Nvidia should lead the charge to get X.Org 1.21 released then. They have a lot of software engineers who could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
          Even if I had the money (which I don't), I couldn't motivate myself morally to buy new hardware right now knowing how much the supply chain relies on the totally corrupt, scruple-less and illegitimate CCP which has become a massive genocidal bully with global power ambitions. I don't care how many millions they have pulled out from extreme poverty when at the same time they are pro-slave labour, union-busting, censoring, anti-democracy, anti-humanist power mongers that have put between one to two million people in concentration camps, creating what is likely the largest genocide since the holocaust. I'm done with feeding their wallets. No more.
          FWIW there are GPUs that are manufactured and packaged with very little involvement from CCP/PRC; the most advanced components are designed in the U.S. and manufactured in Taiwan.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
            Nvidia should lead the charge to get X.Org 1.21 released then. They have a lot of software engineers who could do it.
            Nvidia doesn't maintain X.org so they have no control over it's release. Plus this is an XWayland change which can be released as standalone package.

From Michel Dänzer, the guy who merged the patch: "Since this shouldn't really affect the GBM path, we could even consider making an exception and pulling it into the xwayland-21.1 branch upstream, after soaking for some time on the master branch."

Someone responded to this with "I'm assuming this means other distributions could (and depending on their preferences, will) easily elect to pull this MR "manually" into their spec."

And her responded to that with "Downstreams can already do that now. Pulling it into the upstream xwayland-21.1 branch means it would be part of future 21.1.y point releases."

In other words, distros can already pull the patch into their version of XWayland 21.1 and XWayland may have a 21.1.1 release.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

For this to find its way into distros? I don't see why this wouldn't be pushed either as a mid-cycle release for XWayland or back ported into 21.1 by distros. In terms of the amount of code changed, it really isn't much but what it provides is significant both for Nvidia, users and the adoption of Wayland.
              I think you're under some assumption that everyone is either on a full rolling distribution or doing full upgrades every 3-6 mos.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post

I think you're under some assumption that everyone is either on a full rolling distribution or doing full upgrades every 3-6 mos.
                I'm not under that assumption. Distros have smaller updates between their major releases. A 0.0.1 update to a package isn't outside of the realm of possibility for a non-rolling release distro to push.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

I'm not under that assumption. Distros have smaller updates between their major releases. A 0.0.1 update to a package isn't outside of the realm of possibility for a non-rolling release distro to push.
                  Unless there's some sort of "new" kind of distro.... I don't think so. But I'll place the wager that I'm right and you're wrong... then we'll see, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Crazy! Do you know how many leather jackets Huang can buy with the money he'd pay engineers?

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Crazy! Do you know how many leather jackets Huang can buy with the money he'd pay engineers?

it appears he gets leather jackets from fendi. so $4,000 a jacket. he can buy ten jackets or one junior level programmer. hard decision. i would probably go with the jackets tbh.

Comment

Working...
                      X