XWayland 21.1 Proposed In Splitting Off Releases From The X.Org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

I'm gonna call it master branch harder just because of your politically correct nonsense. ... Who wants to take bets on how many years before Master Lock's management gets stupid and changes their name.

Words said innocently hurt no one... authoritarian censorship of words does. This isn't even thought crime, its criminalization of innocent usage of words, based on theoretical offenses that don't even actually exist. Most people hash tagging offenses are "privileged" white girls.
    Hope this helps

Verbs vs Nouns   Verbs and nouns play a huge role in English grammar making it necessary to know the difference between verbs and nouns. In fact, both of t

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

xeyes?

Gnome (mutter) still requires Xwayland last I recall. There is some restructuring going on to eliminate that requirement moving forward.
      Nope, mutter no longer requires XWayland, there is a gsetting that will allow XWayland to run on demand.

Code:
      gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['autostart-xwayland']"

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
        What are the most popular apps that still require Xwayland?
        If you run the gnome greeter in wayland, it seems to use xwayland,? In Fedora, in the wayland session, I can see an Xwayland process running while waiting for me to log in.

Comment

About time. Arch has been building xorg-xwayland as a separate package from xorg-server with the latest commits for a while now.

Comment

Well, I'm all for it. Having dozens of bug fixes with no release in sight is not a good thing, so this fork out of xorg is the right thing to do.

Comment

A quick google search and you'll find VLC works on Wayland.

Comment

Xorg ending + Xapps depending on X-Wayland + nVidia doesn't support GBM = nVidia fuck you! + my next graphics card will be AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  Actually it will not even rot in hell if I read this MR right. It will just stop existing. Everything else than XWayland becomes officially maintenance-moded. All the post-current-release regressions will simply disappear and never have to be fixed. Everyone wins.
                  Per the "Impact for other DDXen" section of my proposal, little if anything should change for the rest of the xserver tree. Presumably there will continue to be 1.20.z bug-fix releases, until maybe somebody steps up for a new major release. (We'll probably stop backporting non-critical Xwayland specific fixes to 1.20 though)

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                    A quick google search and you'll find VLC works on Wayland.
                    More importantly, SMPlayer doesn't though.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Nah, X is already in maintenance mode, unless someone(s) steps up to do another major release. But don't worry. Xserver 1.20 will be supported with minor fixes and point releases for a while yet. (Does anyone know an exact EOL for Xserver 1.20?)

In practice, I don't think this is going to change much. Actually, I think it will be better for both the "maintain X" holdouts and the "kill everything except XWayland NOW!" zealots. It will eliminate some process overhead on both sides. Not much to see here, unless one enjoys fanboy trolling. Move along..
                      Excactly, let the zealots zeal and report rough edges to be ironed out.

X is still doing great for me, even seamless, while wayland has a dozen of issues (for me alone). As long as this move doesn't prevent me from keeping my smooth X experience and at the same time have the wayland zealots shut up a bit, then everything's fine.
                      Last edited by Mez'; 19 December 2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X