XWayland 21.1 Proposed In Splitting Off Releases From The X.Org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
    What are the most popular apps that still require Xwayland?
    xeyes?

Gnome (mutter) still requires Xwayland last I recall. There is some restructuring going on to eliminate that requirement moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
      Brute force attempt to kill X ...
      Nah, X is already in maintenance mode, unless someone(s) steps up to do another major release. But don't worry. Xserver 1.20 will be supported with minor fixes and point releases for a while yet. (Does anyone know an exact EOL for Xserver 1.20?)

In practice, I don't think this is going to change much. Actually, I think it will be better for both the "maintain X" holdouts and the "kill everything except XWayland NOW!" zealots. It will eliminate some process overhead on both sides. Not much to see here, unless one enjoys fanboy trolling. Move along..

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
        Can't wait to get those sweet sweet last Xwayland fixes while the rest of Xorg can rot in hell as it deserves.
        Actually it will not even rot in hell if I read this MR right. It will just stop existing. Everything else than XWayland becomes officially maintenance-moded. All the post-current-release regressions will simply disappear and never have to be fixed. Everyone wins.

Comment

1. Chromium & Google Chrome

Then, all the Electron apps (Spotify, Discord, ...), Java apps (Intellij development tools, ...), VLC?

Comment

Originally posted by lukoramu View Post

Then, all the Electron apps (Spotify, Discord, ...), Java apps (Intellij development tools, ...), VLC?
            And Wine and Steam. Although Wine is finally starting to move on and I've heard that some of the Steam games can actually run with Wayland (never tried).

Comment

Originally posted by lukoramu View Post

The latest Google Chrome can now use the ozone abstraction, and use wayland (although it requires one to explicitly specify the usage). Electron apps should be able to be upgraded to use the ozone abstraction capabilities, but that will likely take some time for some apps.

Realistically Xwayland is going to stick around for longer than some might wish for, which is why this split, which will more easily allow Xwayland to gain the fixes needed without needing to address the rest of the server stack, will be a benefit for those X based apps.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                Typo:

X.Org Server's current "master branch"

Should be "main branch"

/s
                I'm gonna call it master branch harder just because of your politically correct nonsense. ... Who wants to take bets on how many years before Master Lock's management gets stupid and changes their name.

Words said innocently hurt no one... authoritarian censorship of words does. This isn't even thought crime, its criminalization of innocent usage of words, based on theoretical offenses that don't even actually exist. Most people hash tagging offenses are "privileged" white girls.

Comment

I think the Synapatic package manager.

Comment

For me xeyes said VLC, chromium, kdenlive, and netbeans are all X11.
                    Firefox and Eclipse are both wayland.

HTML Code:
                    chromium --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland
                    [125173:125173:1218/163024.594388:ERROR:wayland_connection.cc(97)] Failed to connect to Wayland display
                    [125173:125173:1218/163024.594442:FATAL: ozone_platform_wayland.cc(175)] Failed to initialize Wayland platform
                    Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
                    chromium --version
                    Chromium 87.0.4280.88 snap

Comment

For me xeyes said VLC, chromium, kdenlive, and netbeans are all X11.
                      Firefox and Eclipse are both wayland.

HTML Code:
                      chromium --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland
                      [125173:125173:1218/163024.594388:ERROR:wayland_connection.cc(97)] Failed to connect to Wayland display
                      [125173:125173:1218/163024.594442:FATAL: ozone_platform_wayland.cc(175)] Failed to initialize Wayland platform
                      Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
                      chromium --version
                      Chromium 87.0.4280.88 snap
                      maybe is snap fault because it works fine on Archlinux with Gnome and even pure weston (AMDGPU driver)

Comment

Working...
                      X