XWayland 21.1 Proposed In Splitting Off Releases From The X.Org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
    A quick google search and you'll find VLC works on Wayland.
    this is what I tried;

HTML Code:
    apt install vlc && export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland; vlc
    VLC media player 3.0.9.2 Vetinari (revision 3.0.9.2-0-gd4c1aefe4d)
    [000056061adfe5b0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
    [000056061ae9c5b0] main playlist: playlist is empty
    QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread
    xeyes agrees with the Warning and indicates VLC is using xwayland.
    additionally video output is mangled if anything other than X11 is selected.
    So then I tried;

HTML Code:
    snap install --channel=edge vlc && snap run vlc
    VLC media player 4.0.0-dev Otto Chriek (revision 4.0.0-dev-14289-g6ae50cc4c9)
    [000055e183512050] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    [000055e1835e4e30] skins2 interface error: cannot instantiate dialogs provider
    Remote control interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
    So unless there is a deb/AppImage/Flatpak VLC is hiding somewhere compiling from source is my next option

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

maybe is snap fault because it works fine on Archlinux with Gnome and even pure weston (AMDGPU driver)
      Yes it works when I avoid snap by using

https://commondatastorage.googleapis...ux_x64/838596/

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Except users. I mean: GNOME, Sway and Enlightenment are the only useable Wayland DE's/WM's currently. KDE Plasma, Deepin, Cinnamon, Xfce, etc. are still not at that level and it will take some years for them to get there. So quite a few Linux users will be stuck with a maintenance-moded display server for some years to come.
        No, they win too. X.org server trunk is not in releasable shape to make an 1.21. User will not lose much if they stick forever with 1.20 maintenance releases. The interesting changes past 1.20 are really XWayland fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
          My proposal is about stable branches for Xwayland-only releases. It doesn’t affect the master branch in any way.
          I don't see what the point is in *that*. It just delays the acceptance that there are not enough interested people to polish master into releasable state anymore. Sure, it's cool to be able to release XWayland separately but it keeps everyone in this limbo "but there might some day be an X Server 1.21 release" state forever.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
            It's funny because we need to kill X and it can rot in hell.. but we need XWayland to run X applications..
            It's for legacy applications

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
              What are the most popular apps that still require Xwayland?
              Android Studio. Chromium. Firefox. VLC.

KDE apps for some reason refuse to use Wayland by default when run on GNOME Wayland. Kodi still uses X11 by default.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
                Xorg ending + Xapps depending on X-Wayland + nVidia doesn't support GBM = nVidia fuck you! + my next graphics card will be AMD.
                I'd recommend Intel dGPU instead, definitely going to be a better experience than AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

I'd recommend Intel dGPU instead, definitely going to be a better experience than AMD.
                  Why do you think intels first consumer dGPU would have solid driver support? I got a 6000 series card and it’s running solid on fedora with their current kernel and mesa nothing special besides a dnf update. I think at this point AMD is just fine especially compared to something that has not been released and thus a complete unknown.

Comment

Working...
                  X