The Future Direction & Purpose Of Wayland's Weston Is Being Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
    Swiping and scrolling is extremely laggy and framerate is all over the place.
    So on par with Android. (Although Android fans tell me Lillipop is now finally smooth but they say that with every new release.)

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      I'm talking about the desktop, not mobiles or cars or sex toys running on Linux.
      And I don't care which niche you are talking about all of a sudden.
      The claim here was that Wayland itself was an endless "just around the corner" project. No, it's not. Wayland itself is done.
      Everybody in his right mind knows since years that 2014 would be the year of transition for 3rd party projects to seriously start adopting Wayland. The state of 3rd party projects, however, is not the same as the state of Wayland itself.
      Gnome and Enlightenment are well on track. KDE got sidetracked because of KF5 release work but that's an internal KDE matter.

Stuff like libinput is not required to make Wayland environments, it's just there to ease making them.

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post
        MATE are porting to GTK3 ( http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/roadmap ). MATE is about having something that behaves like GNOME2, there is no attachment to old technologies. MATE 1.6 dumped a bunch of obsolete libraries.
        Then they can just as well drop their entire code base and help with Gnome 3 Classic instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          So on par with Android. (Although Android fans tell me Lillipop is now finally smooth but they say that with every new release.)
          Hmm, after "defragging" (that's what btrfs balance does as far as I understand) it is A LOT smoother than it was before.
          Driver hiccups (especially Wifi) still happen though

Comment

Hmm, after "defragging" (that's what btrfs balance does as far as I understand) it is A LOT smoother than it was before.
            Good to know it works better

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              Then what was the point of forking GNOME 2 if they were just going to become obselete anyway? Of course MATE is going to get Wayland support.
              Oh, they *intend* to port the whole thing to Wayland. But whether they have the developer capacity to actually do it anytime this decade... that's a different matter.

Comment

I was under the impression defragmentation is mainly a side-effect of balance in a corner-case scenario where you only have one disk

Comment

To me it seems that: Wayland is the protocol and Weston a testbed.
                  Testbeds are always the MOST USEFUL when they test everytying.
                  Thus developing Weston as a fully featured implementation with all the functionality integrated for testing, documentation, debugging the protocol, reference purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    It's still not smooth.
                    For my devices (N4,N5,N7 2013) it was a downgraded experience. Boot is slower. Battery life is a bit weaker.

I've looked at videos of sailfish and it doesn't look smooth either. The latency seems to be similar to android as well.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      It's still not smooth.
                      For my devices (N4,N5,N7 2013) it was a downgraded experience. Boot is slower. Battery life is a bit weaker.
                      So basically the opposite of everything that was promised (and subsequently parroted gleefully by all the talking heads in the tech media) about ART.

I mean Google was promising 10-mllion-billion-times performance boost with ART. And we heard about all the horrors of JIT'd code and how Dalvik is basically the equivalent of a Perl interpreter for your phone.

Comment

Working...
                      X