The Future Direction & Purpose Of Wayland's Weston Is Being Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    And nothing of all that has anything to do with the state of Wayland itself.
    Wayland is stable and in shipping products.
    So is DirectFB.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
      This!

I use/develop for the Jolla phone and it works wonderfuly. The UI is stable and smooth, no jerkyness, much more responsive than any android. Qt5 works fine there, my question is why are we not seeing this on the desktop?
      Plenty of legacy applications call libX11 or libxcb at somewhere in their code.
      Some of them even depends on features of X11 (e.g. Synergy).

Comment

Originally posted by hellofu View Post
        i don't see Mate ever really making the jump to wayland.
        Then what was the point of forking GNOME 2 if they were just going to become obselete anyway? Of course MATE is going to get Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
          Then what was the point of forking GNOME 2 if they were just going to become obselete anyway? Of course MATE is going to get Wayland support.
          Why do people still support Trinity (KDE 3 fork)? Some people fully intend to use X.org and Gnome 2 until the day they die no matter what else comes down the line or what the distros do.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            Wayland support is on the roadmap (just like systemd support ) http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/roadmap
            I do not follow Mate but after a quick look it appears Mate development is more active than Xfce, so they might even able to pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Why do people still support Trinity (KDE 3 fork)?
              Nobody does.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                I use/develop for the Jolla phone and it works wonderfuly. The UI is stable and smooth, no jerkyness, much more responsive than any android. Qt5 works fine there, my question is why are we not seeing this on the desktop?
                You must be using a different Jolla than I am. Swiping and scrolling is extremely laggy and framerate is all over the place. Drivers lock up about once a week.
                Any hints as to how to get to the same UX as you?

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                  You must be using a different Jolla than I am. Swiping and scrolling is extremely laggy and framerate is all over the place. Drivers lock up about once a week.
                  Better frame rate is coming to up10 (opt in up9). I never ever had drivers locking up and i have uptimes of months (only updates force me to reboot).

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    SailfishOS uses Qt and Wayland and does so since 2013.
                    I'm talking about the desktop, not mobiles or cars or sex toys running on Linux.

Xdg-shell is part of the Wayland (desktop) stack (like libinput and whatnot) because for the desktop Wayland isn't specific enough, which xdg-shell is supposed to address, and it's not finished, hence the toolkits are not finished. Up to this fall they haven't figured out completely DND and something else, can't recall.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                      I've had a smooth experience overall, what is your typical use-case? I only keep open native apps, usually 6/8. Has yours been lagging since you bought it?
                      The Jolla phone does not have very impressive hardware, so it's not that surprising that one can make it lag.

Comment

Working...
                      X