The Compositor Modules "COMO" To Build Wayland Compositors Have Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by romangg View Post
    Thank you Michael for giving me the opportunity me announce The Compositor Modules here first on Phoronix, of which I'm an avid reader for years.

I'm here to answer any questions about The Compositor Modules.
    I'm a LONG time (since KDE 2.0 was in advanced Beta) KDE user and I've followed KwinFT development with quite a bit of interest. Thank you for this massive jump in technology that will really help make Wayland easier to implement for a wide range of Linux DE environments!

Comment

This is really neat, the "make it easy" side of things is still lack luster with wayland so Im glad to see this

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        Seems like kde community made a powerful enemy by not embracing his kwinft work :P
        I definitely wouldn't call us enemies. There were annymosities with some Plasma developers about my fork, but for sure not with all of them. To a bunch of KDE developers I still have friendly contact up to today.

I think The Compositor Modules is a reasonably different product now from KWin such that there shouldn't be any problems anymore. On the contrary I would rather be interested in how KDE could make use of COMO. KWin has a lot of features nowadays, but I believe there is space for an experimental alternative KDE compositor making use of COMO and by that wlroots. For example one could think about making Theseus' Ship a KDE project while it uses the desktop-independent COMO.

Comment

I can't take any new software seriously, that is not written in Rust.

Comment

I don’t think my attention span is long enough to read that whole article. Would someone mind summarizing it in 1 or 2 sentences?

Comment

Roman is clearly a talented software developer and his stamina is impressive! - I wish him the best luck and more acknowledgement from the community.

Comment

If there were a Phoronix bingo, this thread would likely complete a row for some. We've got:
                Jabs at Wayland
                Gripes about KDE
                Wishing _____ was made in Rust
                Someone pointing out an alternative
                Excessive sarcasm and/or belittlement
                A tangential discussion

In any case, I could see this being really helpful for DEs that are still popular but having a hard time adapting to Wayland.

Comment

It's always nice to read about something making a good use of modern C++ and modern CMake.

Roman, best of luck with the project!
                  Last edited by intelfx; 04 March 2024, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    If there were a Phoronix bingo, this thread would likely complete a row for some. We've got:
                    ... and someone who points to all of that. But you are so right (and I feel caught). Isn't this kind of diverse conversations, opinions and points being made, what makes a forum great?

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post
                      I don’t think my attention span is long enough to read that whole article. Would someone mind summarizing it in 1 or 2 sentences?
                      The article on Phoronix.com discusses the Compositor modules, specifically focusing on Como. Compositors are software components that handle window composition in desktop environments. The Como module is designed to provide a high-performance, low-latency compositor for the Linux operating system. It utilizes modern graphics technologies like OpenGL and Vulkan to achieve these performance benefits. The article highlights the advantages and features of Como, such as its ability to handle complex visual effects and support for multiple monitors. It also mentions the ongoing development and improvements being made to the module.
                      Don't @ me

Comment

Working...
                      X