The Compositor Modules "COMO" To Build Wayland Compositors Have Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by romangg View Post

I definitely wouldn't call us enemies. There were annymosities with some Plasma developers about my fork, but for sure not with all of them. To a bunch of KDE developers I still have friendly contact up to today.

I think The Compositor Modules is a reasonably different product now from KWin such that there shouldn't be any problems anymore. On the contrary I would rather be interested in how KDE could make use of COMO. KWin has a lot of features nowadays, but I believe there is space for an experimental alternative KDE compositor making use of COMO and by that wlroots. For example one could think about making Theseus' Ship a KDE project while it uses the desktop-independent COMO.
    Is it wrong to say that you would not have gone on this endeavour if kwinft had become the kde compositor and you the main developer, tied down to all the tasks that entails?

I was not literally trying to say that there is a war and you are enemies, rather that this "competition" was created from decision not to accept ft.

Just my impression following from the sides.
    Last edited by varikonniemi; 04 March 2024, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      If there were a Phoronix bingo, this thread would likely complete a row for some.
      Birdie mentioning issue 233 is the free space in the center.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

Is it wrong to say that you would not have gone on this endeavour if kwinft had become the kde compositor and you the main developer, tied down to all the tasks that entails?

I was not literally trying to say that there is a war and you are enemies, rather that this "competition" was created from decision not to accept ft.

Just my impression following from the sides.
        I mean there could have been many ways in which at least parts of KWinFT could've been integrated back into KWin/Plasma. I would have liked that. But it's difficult to say in retrospective. The KWin devs never really showed interest. Tbh I felt already before KWinFT that it was difficult to openly communicate with them, and I'm certainly not the one having in general problems to talk with people. Maybe that has changed though. Quite some time has passed.

Comment

Thanks, i appreciate your work and understand what you are saying. All the best going forward!

Comment

I think it's pretty important not to rewrite history here. There was never any decision to "not accept ft". It was never proposed or submitted for inclusion. It's just a fork that happened and that exists out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_phoronix View Post

I think it's pretty important not to rewrite history here. There was never any decision to "not accept ft". It was never proposed or submitted for inclusion. It's just a fork that happened and that exists out there.
              they already told they tried to communicate with them. Don't go hurr durr no official merge request was submitted

Comment

they already told they tried to communicate with them. Don't go hurr durr no official merge request was submitted
                There's been no real attempt at communication outside of (often incendiary and not very friendly) blog posts.

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post
                  I don’t think my attention span is long enough to read that whole article. Would someone mind summarizing it in 1 or 2 sentences?
                  wayland compositors but lego

Comment

There's been no real attempt at communication outside of (often incendiary and not very friendly) blog posts.
                    well you flat out contradicted them
                    Last edited by varikonniemi; 06 March 2024, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Eike (I assume it's you, since you have this username also on other platforms), you are of course very much aware that there doesn't need to be an official decision by an amorphous organization like KDE to work against something. Anyway, I don't want to go into details, as I don't think playing this history game has any positive impact on us today. I hope we can agree on that.

Comment

Working...
                      X