The Compositor Modules "COMO" To Build Wayland Compositors Have Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Compositor Modules "COMO" To Build Wayland Compositors Have Arrived

Phoronix: The Compositor Modules "COMO" To Build Wayland Compositors Have Arrived

Open-source developer Roman Gilg who is known for his work on KWinFT prior to its rebranding as Theseus' Ship has some more important news to share today by way of Phoronix. Here's his guest post announcing The Compositor Modules.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you Michael for giving me the opportunity me announce The Compositor Modules here first on Phoronix, of which I'm an avid reader for years.

I'm here to answer any questions about The Compositor Modules.

Comment

Another? What happened to your plans of using wlroots?

Comment

Seems like kde community made a powerful enemy by not embracing his kwinft work :P

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Another? What happened to your plans of using wlroots?
          The Compositor Modules uses wlroots internally. In a way you can see it a an "wlroots-batteries-included". And as such it's easier to start with, just compare wlroots' MVP TinyWl with The Compositor Module's MVP Minico.

Comment

Code:
            base_t base({.config = base::config(KConfig::OpenFlag::FullConfig, "kwinft-minimalrc")});

base.mod.space = std::make_unique<base_t::space_t>(*base.mod.render, *base.mod.input);
            And after that people say Rust is unreadable.

Comment

I'm not asking for myself, but a birdie in this community would be dying to know how easy these libraries would make it to port something like icewm to wayland?

I'm only being half serious, only answer if you want to lol. All in all very interesting project, I hope you find funding!
              Last edited by Noitatsidem; 04 March 2024, 01:06 PM.

Comment

finally, x11 but for wayland

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                  Code:
                  base_t base({.config = base::config(KConfig::OpenFlag::FullConfig, "kwinft-minimalrc")});

base.mod.space = std::make_unique<base_t::space_t>(*base.mod.render, *base.mod.input);
                  And after that people say Rust is unreadable.
                  I find the very readable. First you create a base instance and then you set base.mod.space with a unique pointer of type base_t::space_t.

I personally don't use _t for aliases but ...

What I find strange is that the initialization is happening outside of the constructor. It looks to me that

base.mod.space = std::make_unique<base_t::space_t>(*base.mod.render , *base.mod.input);

should be happening inside of the constructor.

Comment

• wlroots
                    • libweston
                    • Mir
                    • Qt Wayland Compositor
                    • Louvre (new)
                    This list is missing smithay: https://github.com/Smithay/smithay
                    Last edited by eszlari; 04 March 2024, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X