No announcement yet.

Google Chrome Adds VA-API Video Acceleration On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAAPI and Chrome has been a neverending story of pain and suffering. I hope this will come to an end with that merge. Using the necessary flags of the Mesa MR posted above leads to corruption when I compile Mesa with Clang, and I also saw a couple of crashes at the start of youtube videos. So be aware that some extra effort might be needed to get it to work perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      VAAPI and Chrome has been a neverending story of pain and suffering. I hope this will come to an end with that merge. Using the necessary flags of the Mesa MR posted above leads to corruption when I compile Mesa with Clang, and I also saw a couple of crashes at the start of youtube videos. So be aware that some extra effort might be needed to get it to work perfectly.
      You're mentioning Clang. Did you test with gcc and does that fix the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by botipua22 View Post
        How is Chrome/Chromium's Linux support subpar despite Google owning two Linux based OSes? It has to be intentional.
        And none of them is Linux/GNU.

Android can hardly be called Linux at all. A highly patched Linux kernel and completely different user space.

ChromeOS doesn't use either X11 or Wayland.

Comment

Now they need to fix sub 60fps on wayland.

Comment

A keylogger with enhanced video acceleration. On Wayland even!! What more could a spyware victim ask for? Google's always looking out for the little people, such a benevolent, do-no-evil corporation.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

And none of them is Linux/GNU.

Android can hardly be called Linux at all. A highly patched Linux kernel and completely different user space.

ChromeOS uses Wayland since version 115. Android Linux kernel diff to vanilla is pretty low nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel View Post
                NOO, you are imposing Wayland on us! It's someone else's fault that I bought a NVIDIA card and now I must spam a forum about hoy inconvenient this is for me!
                There is the nvidia-vaapi-driver (libva-nvidia-driver) that was written to support firefox's use of vaapi on nvidia cards. You might investigate that.

Comment

Many thanks to Intel for another great contribution!

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                    Eh, ChromeOS has switched to Wayland last year. Please don't spread any misinformation as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
                      Chromium catching up with Firefox.
                      More like with Viper Browser, as Viper could already do this and Viper is based on QtWebEngine, which is based on Blink.

Comment

Working...
                      X